You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 261812  

Print Page

© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 261812
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 07 June 2004
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST7219HENSTRIDGE CPCHURCH STREET (South side)10/76Church of St Nicholas24.3.61

ST7219 HENSTRIDGE CP CHURCH STREET (South side) 10/76 Church of St Nicholas 24.3.61 GV II* Parish Church. C12 origins, mostly rebuilt 1872-3 by J.M Allen; Tower rebuilt 1900 by E Buckle. Local stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressing: stone slate roofs between stepped coped gables with finials. 6-cell plan consisting of 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave, North and South aisles, 2-bay North East chantry chamel and 2-bay South East organ chamber and vestry, with West tower and South Porch. In C14/C15 style mostly. Chancel has plinth, cill course, and double offset corner buttresses; 3 light geometric traceried East window and similar South window, both under pointed labels with headstops. Organ chamber has diagonal corner buttress, a simpler 2-light traceried window and pointed arched doorway on South side, and another 2-light window to the East. The South aisle has bay buttresses and 3-light geometric traceried windows in the South wall, with a blank West wall: South porch on second bay from West has C13 style pointed arch doorways, the inner with ball flower decoration, The North East Chantry chapel has a diagonal corner buttress, a late C15 style 3-light East window and rather wide catching North window. The North aisle was not rebuilt; it has bay buttresses with offsets, 3-light late C15 style pointed arched windows without labels, and in second bay from East a blocked moulded C15 doorway; West wall blank. Tower in 3 stages with plinth, string courses, battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles, and angled corner buttresses with offsets to full height; square plan stair turret with pitched roof, 2 stages high, on South East corner; unusual ship weathervane; 4-light C15 style traceried West window with transome and subarcuation, the label forming a step up in the string course: 2nd stage has a 2-light window to the North, and small cusped lancets to South and West, with curvilinear tracery to the 2-light window at head of stair turret. 3 has tall 2 light C15 style traceried windows with labels and pierced wood baffles to all faces. Inside, the chancel has a ribbed and boarded 4-plane ceiling; late C19 furniture including brass communion rail in early Art Nouveau manner: the double arch into the chantry chapel almost certainly C13, with octagonal piers, broached base, moulded capitals and double chamfer arches; in Easternmost arch an elaborate canopied tomb, richly carved with considerable traces of colour, with 2 recumbent effigies on slab with panelled sides, with 4-centre finely cusped canopy arches and quatrefoil and rose coffering, commemorating William Cavent, High Sheriff of Somerset and Dorset, died c1463. In the Chantry chapel a North East corner canopy, probably early C16: narrow arch into North Aisle could be C13. Nave arcade in C13 style, but photograph in church shows it to be a complete rebuild, and remaining work all C19: the font in the under tower space has a plain octagonal bowl on tall octagonal shaft with moulded base and collar, probably C13. Several lesser C18 memorial tablets on West wall of North aisle. First known rector 1175, otherwise few details known. (Wakeford, A History of Henstridge, 1953).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.