You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 261961  

Print Page



© Mr Duncan Miller

IoE Number: 261961
Location: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, TUCKERS LANE (south side)
  ANSFORD, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Duncan Miller
Date Photographed: 13 July 2004
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ANSFORD CPTUCKERS LANE (South side)ST63325/28Church of St. Andrew24.3.61

ANSFORD CP TUCKERS LANE (South side) ST6332 5/28 Church of St. Andrew 24.3.61 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. C15 tower, remainder rebuilt by C E Giles in 1861. Tower of local lias stone cut and squared, remainder Cary stone cut and squared, all with Doulting stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables, having clay sawtooth ridge. Three-cell plan, of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle; with north-east vestry, south-east organ chamber, south porch and west tower. Chancel has chamfered plinth, corner buttresses to north and south sides, none on east face; 3-light east window with trefoil and quatrefoil tracery, C13 style; 2-light south window in a plate tracery style - both with plain arched labels: north- east vestry a lean-to with pair of lancet windows in east wall, and flat arched doorway in north wall; the organ chamber a gabled projection on south side, with angled corner buttresses, with 2-light plate tracery style south window and quatrefoil gable vent over. North aisle in form of lean-to, with centre and end buttresses, and 2 pairs lancet windows without labels in North wall; a single lancet to west end. Nave has 2-light late C15 Muchelney style traceried windows - cusped ogee lights with quatrefoils above, flat arched under square labels with headstops, which might be reused from the former church: south porch, between these last, plain with C13 style pointed arched opening with side shafts and floriated capitals, the inner door plain. Tower fairly squat, in 3 stages: angled corner buttresses to full height, moulded plinth, string courses, top course having gargoyles, battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles; north-east square stair turret, 2 stages high with lean-to stone roof and small rectangular windows: north and south walls plain at first stage, but west doorway has deeply moulded 4-centre arch under square label with square steps, hollowed spandrils, the doors, rather low, could be C16; above a 3-light C15 traceried window in deep hollowed recess, string carried over as label. Stage 2 plain except on south side which has a 2-light C15 traceried window in deep hollowed recess, cutting into stage 3; similar windows all round to stage 3, but without labels, and with slightly later pattern tracery, all fitted with wood shutters. The interior totally C19, except in the tower space, generally in a C13 style. Tower arch tall, moulded in C15 style: pulpit early C17, in timber octagonal with carved panels, on C19 stone base; font a plain tub, possibly C13; in north aisle a C16 chest with linenfold panels, memorials include several to Woodforde family - Revd James Woodforde, the C18 diarist, held this living, and the memorial over the vestry door was set up by him to commemorate his parents. First recorded rector 1328.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.