You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 261982  

Print Page



© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 261982
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET (west side)
  CASTLE CARY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 30 March 2003
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CASTLE CARY CPCHURCH STREET (West side)ST63325/49Church of All Saints24.3.61GVII*

CASTLE CARY CP CHURCH STREET (West side) ST6332 5/49 Church of All Saints 24.3.61 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Saxon origins, main church c1470, heavily restored by Benjamin Ferrey 1851-1855. Tower of Cary stone cut and squared, remainder lias stone cut and squared with Doulting stone dressings; Welsh slate and sheet lead roofs behind battlemented parapets. Six-cell plan of 3-bay chancel, 5-bay nave, north and south aisles, and north and south transepts; additional north-east corner vestry, north and south porches, and west tower with spire. Chancel has double plinth, angled corner and bay buttresses; east window a 4-light C19 version of C15 tracery under arched label with headstops; to south a 3-light C15 traceried window set in hollowed pointed-arch recess without label, and to north similar window partly obscured by vestry; this generally matches but has plain parapet, and in its north wall a 3-light traceried flat-arched window with moulded arched doorway to west, both without labels. Nave visible as the clerestorey, with 3-light C15 traceried windows in 4-centre arched hollowed recesses without labels. North transept and north aisle of C19 character, with bay buttresses, and angled corner buttresses to transept; 3-light C19 versions of the nave windows in north walls; in west wall a 2-light window to match. North porch totally C19; simple C15 style outer arch with empty canopied statue niche over, and pointed moulded inner arch, with inner doorway in south-east corner to octagonal stair turret leading to parvise. South aisle and transept to match, but the aisle incorporates older work; south porch of ashlar, 2 storeys, with corner buttresses with gargoyles at head, battlemented parapet; C15 style outer arch and moulded pointed inner arch with a possibly C15 door; first floor reached by north-east octagonal stair turret, and has 2 C14 style small traceried windows without labels flanking a canopied statue niche in which is set a medieval wooden figure. Tower in 3 stages, with low bottom stage; offset corner buttresses ending in crocketted pinnacles; double plinth, string courses, open-traceried battlemented parapets with gargoyles under; tall spire with carved middle band and weathervane finial, having crocketted and pinnacled gablets at bases of principal faces to small windows; south-east corner has octagonal stair turret with stepped stone roof 2 stages high: bottom stage plain: stage 2 has a 4-light C19 traceried west window in a C15 style with pointed arched label, with a thin lancet window set above; on north and south faces are single- light cusped rectangular windows; to stage 3 all round are 2-light C15 style traceried windows with diagonal traceried stone baffles under stilted arched labels extended as an additional string course; clock faces to north and south. Inside, chancel mostly C19 and C20, with double arch-truss traceried roof frame; traceried reredos, and ogee arched doorway to vestry; arches to transepts and nave C15 style, but probably recut. Nave has C15 arcade with 4-shaft and hollow columns, but roof is a C19 traceried king-post type. Aisles have moulded rib-and-panel ceilings, probably all C19 work. Tower arch very tall, plain double chamfered; corbel offsets to tracery-panelled timber roof. Fittings include a C15 style timber pulpit, almost totally C19 but possibly with some original fragments; C15 octagonal font with double quatrefoil panels each face of bowl, foilage carved coving and traceried panelled shaft. Several C17 Keinton stone slab memorials in nave floor nicely incised, and four C18 marble plaque memorials in tower. Stained glass in east window by O'Connor, 1855, and in west window by Powell and Sons, 1864. First recorded rector 1269. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and Vest Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.