You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262020  

Print Page



© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 262020
Location: THE MARKET HOUSE, MARKET PLACE (west side)
  CASTLE CARY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 12 August 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1974
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1974
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CASTLE CARY CPMARKET PLACE (West side)ST64326/87The Market House4.2.74GVII*

CASTLE CARY CP MARKET PLACE (West side) ST6432 6/87 The Market House 4.2.74 GV II* Market house with other public buildings. 1855, by F.C. Penrose. Cary stone cut and squared, with Doulting stone dressings; Delabole slate roof between stepped coped gables crowned with small pinnacles; central lead-covered spirelet with clock-faces set diagonally onto ridge. In a Flemish style. 'L'-plan; 3 storeys, 7-bay main facade. Open colonnade to ground floor, with circular non-classical columns carrying chamfered 3-centred arches; then string courses to a panelled section with pointed arohed recesses having alternately circular and triangular leaded windows; to upper storey in bays 2, 4 and 6 are hollow-chamfered mullioned windows with three 4-centre-arched lights under flat heads without labels. North- east elevation has two open pointed arches at ground floor; then two pairs of small rectangular windows divided by a central shaft carrying a 1+2+1 light oriel window at second floor level having chamfered mullions and transomes, and stepped stone roof with a gable vent over. South- west elevation has an end gable, featuring staircase windows, and a 3-bay extension to the rear to match, adjusted to suit the slope of the hill alongside. Rear elevation has a gabled projection with segmental arched casements at ground floor level, a single and a 2-light rectangular window to first floor with casements, and similar windows to second floor but with rectangular leaded-pane lights, gable vent above: sundry later extensions to fill in the angle including a covered walkway and fire escape stairway. Erected by the Market House Company to replace the former house of 1616, possibly reusing the old columns, in anticipation of increased trade after the projected arrival of the railway in 1856. The undercroft, still enclosed by wrot iron railings, was for the market, particularly for corn, and at the rear were several cells; above were reading and news rooms and facilities for musical entertainments (McGarvie M, Castle Cary; Avalon Industries, 1980).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.