You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262066  

Print Page



© Mrs Sue Durant LRPS

IoE Number: 262066
Location: MANOR HOUSE,
  MAPERTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mrs Sue Durant LRPS
Date Photographed: 30 August 2003
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 18 March 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MAPERTON CPST62NEMAPERTON VILLAGE4/133Maperton House(previously listed as Manor House)

MAPERTON CP ST62NE MAPERTON VILLAGE 4/133 Maperton House (previously listed as Manor House) 24.3.61 GV II* Large detached house, on site of manor house. Mostly 1802 and 1876, but incorporating some C18 fragments. Ham stone ashlar; plain clay tile roofs behind parapets, some coped gables with ball finials; stone chimney stacks. 'L' plan with additions; 2 storeys with attics and 3 storeys. West entrance elevation of 6 bays; bays 1 and 2 of 3 storeys, with separate gables, upper part of 1876 date; plain sash windows in ornamental surrounds to bay 1 and bay 2 gable; remaining windows this side 12-pane sashes, paired to lower bay 2; bays 5 and 6 project for 2 bays, the end of bay 5 being angled, and contains an open porch with Doric columns in antis protecting heavy studded and panelled doors; bay 6 has a full height angled bay window with single sash each level each face. South elevation of 7 bays, of which the centre bay is 3-storey; plinth, pilasters to corner and flanking centre bay, cornice, plain parapet with urns over pilasters, probably all 1802; 12-pane sash windows in architraves, with added sidelights to centre bay; to ground floor centre bay are French doors set under a C19 open iron latticework porch with lead-covered bell-hip roof; to south-east corner a 1876 single-storey orangery, built on a curve, and recently restored. At east end of north elevation, ground floor level, are two 4-light hollow-chamfer mullioned windows of late C18, and inside one doorway corresponds with this date. Many good early C19 features inside the house, which has been little altered, except by a late C20 addition on east side and demolition of some work on north side.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.