You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262116  

Print Page



© Mrs Sue Durant LRPS

IoE Number: 262116
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  YARLINGTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mrs Sue Durant LRPS
Date Photographed: 27 September 2003
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

YARLINGTON CPST62NE4/183Church of St. Mary24.3.61GVII*

YARLINGTON CP ST62NE 4/183 Church of St. Mary 24.3.61 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Tower C11 and later, remainder rebuilt by J.A. Reeve in 1878. Cary stone, some rubble but mostly ashlar, Doulting or Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiled roofs between coped gables with cross finials. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle, with south porch and south tower. Chancel of C19, with angled corner buttresses, eaves course; east wall has string courses and gable vent; 3-light east window with C19 version geometric tracery with arched label having unworked stops; 3 north windows are 2-light with C14 style simple cusped tracery, without labels; 2 south windows are wide 3-light with 4-centred arches set in chamfered recesses, C15 style tracery, and between them a pointed arched doorway with label having unworked stops. North aisle has, in east wall, a small wheel window to gable, and below two pairs cusped lancets; corner double chimney; north wall has bay buttresses and eaves course, with a 2-light plate traceried window to east bay, with pairs cusped lancets to other bays, all without labels; west wall has rather heavily detailed 2-light Geometric traceried windows. Nave has corner buttresses, eaves course; in south wall a single-light cusped lancet, and in west wall a wheel window with two cusped lancets below. South porch simple, with side buttresses, end gable with crocketted finial over plain pointed arch with label having unworked stops. Tower of C11 origins, has 2 stages; plinth, string courses, corner qargoyles to upper string, battlemented parapets with corner pinnacles; first stage has thin lancet high in west face; in south wall a C19 3-light window under an inserted string; plain above and on east face; second stage has small 2-light C15 traceried windows with plain arched labels, fitted with wood baffles, all faces; in north-east corner a C19 octagonal stair turret with outer door, and ring of quatrefoil windows under hipped stone roof. Interior mostly of C19 detail; chancel walls rough rendered, with timber panelled barrel-vault ceiling; low cusped arched recess in north wall of sanctuary possibly C14; C20 alabaster and mosaic reredos; chancel arch in C13 style with 4 coloured marble detached shafts to each jamb. Nave has king-post roof trusses and timber boarded barrel vault, with C13 style arcade to north aisle; Cll arch to tower space, plain, with label and imposts. Fittings unexceptionally C19, except the font which is a slightly rural C15 octagonal font with panelled bowl and shaft, and the C17 altar table. Several small C18 memorial tablets, mostly to the Rogers family. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Smerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.