You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262147  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 262147
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL,
  CUDWORTH, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 10 July 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CUDWORTH CPST31SE2/20Church of St Michael4.2.58

CUDWORTH CP ST31SE 2/20 Church of St Michael 4.2.58 GV II Anglican parish church. C12 origins, with north doorway and one small window of that period. C13 nave and chancel with C14 and C15 modifications. Local lias stone rubble with Ham stone ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs between stepped ccoed gables: west bell turret. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttresses and 2 full-height buttresses on north side, but none on south: the east window a 3 light 'Y' tracary window of C14 under arched headstop label; the east window of south wall a 2-light of early Geometric tracery in slightly hollowed recess without label, and to west a C19 single lancet; in north wall a C14 traceried 2-light window under arched headstop label to east, and single lancet to west; possibly C19. Nave has buttresses to south-west corners, and two towards extremities of south wall; the windows in that wall both 3-light, the eastern in deep hollowed recess with very early Perpendicular tracery, the west having later Perpendicular tracery and set in shallower recess under arched headstop label; between these a blocked chamfered segmental-pointed arched doorway with former statue niche over, above this being the water tabling for a previous proch: in the west nave wall a C19 doorway in rectangular recess without label, above which is a 3-light C15 pattern traceried window in deep hollowed recess - the whole of this wall apparently a C19 rebui1d: the bell turret has a pitched stone roof and pointed-arched apertures for 2 bells, both of C17 date. North aisle has lancet windows - on north wall a pair towards east end, then a single cusped lancet and a plain lancet flanking a C12 doorway having single sideshafts, roll-and-recess moulded arch with label: the tympanum mostly plain but incorporating some stones with acanthus-type decoration: in east wall a 3-light almost Curvilinear-traceried window in slight recess, under which is a very small C12 window apparently with round-headed recess internally west wall plain. Interior not accessible, but reported is the low 3-bay arcade of irregular spans of octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches; no chancel arch but traces of a C16 rood screen: nave ceiling opened out and new roof to aisle in 1904; C20 carvings in chancel. Fittings include large early C13 font with dog-tooth and cable-mould decoration: Jacobean pulpit; fragments of pre-Reformation altar top and a carved and painted statue niche: mutilated C13 tomb top. Inscribed memorial to Sarah Smyth d 1684. Fragments of medieval glass in east window of north aisle. First mention of church cl186-88. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958: VCH Somerset, Vol IV, l978, pp146-7).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.