You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262156  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 262156
Location: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW,
  DOWLISH WAKE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 26 May 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DOWLISH WAKE CPST31SEDOWLISH WAKE VILLAGE2/29Church of St Andrew

DOWLISH WAKE CP ST31SE DOWLISH WAKE VILLAGE 2/29 Church of St Andrew 4.2.58 GV II* Anglican parish church. Fragment of chancel C13, tower early C14, some C15 work. Mostly rebuilt 1861-62, B.Ferrey Architect. H.Davis of Taunton builder. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings: Welsh slate roof between stepped cooed gables. Five-cell plan of single-bay chancel, crossing with tower; 2-bay north-east (Smoke) chapel, 3-bay nave and north aisle, with south porch and north east vestry, Chancel, mostly C19, has chamfered plinth; eaves course and angled corner buttresses: east window 3-light with Seometric style tracery, and south window 2-light to.match, both with labels and leaf-with-bird stop ends; in south-west corner a moulded pointed-arched doorway. The Speke Chapel has some early C15 work, but the east wall partly rebuilt; plinth, eaves course;, angled corner and bay buttresses; windows 3-light to east and 2-light to the two north bays, all with C15 style tracery set in hollowed recesses: C19 matching vestry projects from west bay, its north gable having a C14 style traceried 2-light window with label, and a flat-arched doorway in the east wall. North side aisle a late C19 rebuild of C15 work, with plinth, string course and plain parapet, angled corner and bay buttresses; 3-light segmental-arched windows in shallow recesses with almost art-nouveau tracery; the west window a 3-light with C15 style tracery and headstone label. Nave has angled corner and bav buttresses; plinth and eaves course; 3-light C19 windows with C14 style tracery and headstop arched labels in south wall; the west window also CI9; 4-light with Curvilinear tracery with bird-and-leaf stop label, under which is a blocked moulded pointed-arched doorway. South porch C14, but largely rebuilt; plinth; angled corner buttresses, with moulded pointed pointed outer arch, label and over-label scroll lettered 'surely the Lord is in this place', and in gable a small figure of St Andrew in an arched recess, inner door more elaborately moulded, with another St Andrew figure in recess over. Tower in 3 stages, with plinth and north-south corner buttresses, string courses, tripled above stage one, and battleaented parapet, with hexagonal plan stair turret to north-east corner slightly higher than remainder of tower: the south face of stage 1 has a 3-light C15 style window with label; stage 2 has a cusped lancet on north side and a 2-light plate tracery window to west, both of these repeated in stage 3; south lace has a clock dial stage 2, and stage 3 south and stages 2 and 3 east faces have 2-light C14/C15 style windows without labels. interior essentially C19, with open timber roofs and plastered walls; chancel has a C19 painted reredos: the crossing has tall C13 or early C14 double-chamfer arches with moulded caps, otherwise the main fabric apparently Cl9. In the Speke chapel is a C11 or C12 font, tub pattern with arcaded sides, from the church of West Dowlish, demolished by l575; between this chapel and the chancel a somewhat restored table tomb with effigies of Joane (nee Keynes) and John Speke, died 1442; in north wall of chapel a marble and stone monument with life-size bust of John Hanninq Speke, the discoverer of the source of the River Nile, died l864; and in a trefoil cusped recess west of this an effigy of Isabel Wake, died 1359: also a brass to George Speke, died 1528, "builder of this part of the church'. Remaining fittings C19, but in the south wall of nave a fine C15 canopied statue niche, presumably removed and reset, with a C20 St Andrew statue. A photograph taken before the restoration, in the north chapel, shows that little was left unaltered, except parts of the tower. First recorded rector 1313. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, l978, ppl54-156; Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.