You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262161  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 262161
Location: SPEKE HALL, ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW,
  DOWLISH WAKE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 29 May 2003
Date listed: 30 November 1987
Date of last amendment: 30 November 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DOWLISH WAKE CPST31SEDOWLISH WAKE VILLAGE2/41Spoke Hall, about 10 metres northwest of Church of St Andrew

DOWLISH WAKE CP ST31SE DOWLISH WAKE VILLAGE 2/41 Spoke Hall, about 10 metres north west of Church of St Andrew - GV II Former day and Sunday school, closed 1949; now village hall. 1840, erected by William Speke. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof to shallow pitch between stepped coped gables with cross-plan finials. single-storey, 6 bays. Pointed- . arched 'Y'-tracery windows of 2 lights with labels, bays 2, 3, 5 and 6; former doorway to bay. 1 now blocker: projecting from bay 4 a later gabled porch with plain chamfered pointed arched doorway and boarded door, with traces of a 4-centre arched label to inner door visible above roof; over former bay 1 doorway a plain stone inscribed 'Erected by William Speke Esq 1840', Single later windows in end gables, C20 extension to rear, Simple interior with coved ceiling exposing collars of roof trusses. Building has important group value with Church of St Andrew (qv). (VCH Somerset, Vol IV. 1978, p156).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.