You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262178  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 262178
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, CRICKET LANE (east side)
  KNOWLE ST GILES, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 21 April 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KNOWLE ST GILES CPCRICKET LANE (East side)ST31SECRICKET MALHERBIE2/52Church of St Mary Magdalen4.2.58

KNOWLE ST GILES CP CRICKET LANE (East side) ST31SE CRICKET MALHERBIE 2/52 Church of St Mary Magdalen 4.2.58 GV 11* Anglican parish church. C12 origins; but rebuilt c1855 by Rev J.M Allen, Staple and Munden, builders. Ham stone ashlar: plain clay tiled roofs between moulded coped gables with a variety of finials, behind traceried parapets. three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north transept, with a north-east corner vestry, south porch and north-west tower, all in a scholarly Geometric style. Chancel has double plinth, trefoil traceried parapets, corner and bay buttresses with panelled and gabletted tops, with crocketted pinnacles to corners: east window a 5-light with headstop label, a trefoil vent over; a 2-light window on south side, east bay, with simple arched doorway up 4 steps to west bay: further 2-light window on north side. The north-east vestry to match, but with flat roof behind plain parapet; 2-light flat headed window with square headstop label on north side, no external doorway; stairs down to boiler room against east wall. North transept similar, but with Curvilinear tracery to parapets, and having corner gargoyles: 3-liqht north window, blank on east and west sides. Nave has Curvilinear traceried parapets; 2-light windows with simple tracery to sides, but the west gable much more elaborate, with a 3-light reticulated window flanked by ogee-arched niches holding C20 statues, a traceried trefoil gable light over, and the gable crowned with a crocketted tabernacle. South porch has plinth, angled corner buttresses; trefoil-traceried parapets and moulded coped gable with cross finial; 2-order outer arch with applied flower boss ornament and wrought-iron gate; single-order inner iron with elaborate ironwork straps to door; side walls have 2 small sidelights, Tower of 3 stages, capped with a spire; angled corner buttresses 2 stages hill, plinth; string courses, the top with flower boss ornament and corner gargoyles, then a low castellated parapet; the spire small, with gabled windows to principal faces: in stage 1 the west face has a cusped lancet window, and the north a moulded pointed-arched doorway; stage 2 has a flat-arched light with ogee tracery to each face except the east, where there is a 2-stage octagonal-plan stairway projection; stage 3 has a 2-light Curvilinear-traceried window with louvres on each side, set in a hollowed arched reveal with ballflower decoration and headstop label. inside, the work scholarly and consitent: the chancel has a timber moulded rib and panel ceiling, an ornamental carved stone dado, in elaborate piscina on the north side, and also a table-tomb in ojee niche. Chancel arch finely moulded, the chancel floor of patterned encaustic tiles. Nave has open arch-braced collar-truss roof with ornamental windbracinq; and fine moulded archway to north transept, and black-and-white diamond pattern stone floor. North transept the Pitt family pew, with rib and tracery-panelled ceiling, ornamental fireplace with cast-ironback in east wall. All fittings if the l850s, notably the octagonal wood pulpit on a slender base, the choir stalls, lectern, pews (including a traceried front to the Pitt chapel), and a richly decorated octagonal font, which has a fine timber openork cover. Memorials include the chancel table tomb, to Stephen Pitt-Harris, died 1848, and in the north transept memorials to Stephen Pitt and George Pitt, both died 1865, both memorials by White of Pimlico. In nave a copy of the Raghael Virgin and Child, with St John the Baptist and an angel, by a Miss B1andy. (Pevsner), N, Buildings of England, South and west Somerset, l958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.