© Mr Michael Perry
FORMER CHURCH OF ST GILES, PINKHAM HILL (north off)
KNOWLE ST GILES, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Michael Perry
14 May 2003
04 February 1958
Date of last amendment:
04 February 1958
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
KNOWLE ST G1LES CP PINKHAM HILL (North side, off)
Former Church of St Giles
Former Anglican parish church, undergoing conversion into house (September l986). C20 origins, but totally rebuilt, the
nave cl840 by Lewis Vulliamy, the chancel cl843, probably by J.M Allen, curate-in-charge. has stone ashlar; Welsh slate
roofs between coped gables, the chancel having an ornamental clay tiled ridge; former 2-bell turret at west end.
Two-unit plan. Chancel a scholarly essay in C13/C14 style, with plinth, cill course, corner buttresses triple lancet
east window, cusped lancet north windows; on south side a single and a double cusped lancet, all without labels. North
east corner vestry has pointed-arched east doorway with curl-stop label, up 5 steps, and 3 cusped lancets in north
wall. Nave of 5 bays; plinth, bay and corner buttresses; one plain lancet each bay, and 2 in west gable with a buttress
between. South porch has angled corner buttresses and C14 style outer arch with side shifts and dogtooth ornament,
label with headstops moulded inner arch. Inside, the chancel has exposed rafter and scissor truss ceiling, side shafts
to window reveals, a sedilia in the south wall, and a stone credence shelf in cinquefoil-cusped recess in north wall.
Small Gothic-style fireplace in corner of vestry, which gives access to very finely decorated stone oriel pulpit on
east wall of nave. Nave has hammerbeam truss roof. Other details stripped out, but it is understood that the details
mentioned are to be retained after conversion. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset,1958: VCH
Somerset, Vol IV, l958, pp162-3).