You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262244  

Print Page

© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 262244
Location: LEIGH HOUSE, WHATLEY LANE (west off)
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 09 August 2005
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WINSHAM CPWHATLEY LANE (West side, off)ST30NELEIGHLeigh House4/114

WINSHAM CP WHATLEY LANE (West side, off) ST30NE LEIGH Leigh House 4/114 4.2.58 - GV II* Large country house, now divided into 4 units. 1617, modified 1893. Built for the Henley Family. Local lias stone ashlar, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs between moulded coped gables with obelisk and ball finials. 'E'-plan; east elevation 2 storeys with attics, 5 bays; the outer bays project for 2-bay depth, and the central bay has a slight projectin. Plinth, moulded string above first floor windows, with gables to each bay; ovolo-mould mullioned windows in wave-mould surrounds: the ground floor 5-light with labels, those to bays 2 and 4 taller with transomes, with 5-light and 2-light windows in the returns of the end bays all with labels; the pattern repeated on first floor but with 4-light windows in place of 5-liqht, and no labels; 3-light windows with labels to all attic gables: centre bay has a moulded semi-circular open arch with imposts and square label, above which is a square plaque bearing the Henley arms, then a 4-light transomed and a 3-light attic window matching the remainder; the rainwater stockheads in the corners dated 1893. South elevation of 6 bays to match, of which bays 1 and 2 are only 2-storey and may be a later addition; the windows to these bays are a 4-light transomed unit to lower bay 2, and 2- and 4-lights, above with a cambered-arched doorway under a square label to lower by 1. Bays 3 to 6 are two-storey with attic, with gables to each bay; bay 3 has a 3-light window to each level, bay 4 has a 1+4+1 light angled bay window 2 floors high, the lower window transomed, with plain parapet and flat roof, with 3-light window to attic; bay 5 has a 4-light and a 3-light at mezzanine level, and under these an ovolo-mou1ded cambered-arched doorway in rectangular recess under a square label, the gable to this bay having a chimney stack to its crown: bay 6 has a 1+3+1 light angled bay window 2 floors high and a 3-light attic window: all windows rectangular-leaded: one rainwater stackhead dated 1617. North elevation similar in character, but with sundry C19 and C20 additions to the north-east corner. Interiors not accessible, but ground floor south-east- corner room has early C17 panelling; other panelled rooms and a thin-ribbed plaster ceiling are reported (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.