You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262262  

Print Page



© Mr Jason Brister

IoE Number: 262262
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH LANE (north side)
  HASELBURY PLUCKNETT, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Jason Brister
Date Photographed: 04 August 2003
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST4710HASELBURY PLUCKNETT CPCHURCH LANE (North side)10/14Church of St Michael and AllAngels19.4.61

ST4710 HASELBURY PLUCKNETT CP CHURCH LANE (North side) 10/14 Church of St Michael and All Angels 19.4.61 GV II* Anglican parish church. C14, C15, late C19 and C20. Ham stone ashlar; chancel has Welsh slate roof with ornamental stone ridge, stepped coped east gable with cross finial, vestry to match; nave has concrete tile roof behind battlemented parapets between moulded gable copings. Two-cell plan of single-bay chancel, 4-bay nave; former aisled plan, arcades removed in 1920. South porch, north-east vestry and west tower. Chancel apparently a C19 rebuild; high plinth; 3-light C14 style traceried east window with mid-transome and pointed-arched label with plain stops, with small 2-light Y-traceried vent above; matching 2-light window in south wall. Vestry has 3-light chamfer-mullioned east window in chamfered recess, flat arched with label, and plain pointed-arched doorway; and single cusped-light window to west. Nave has tall plinth, angled corner and bay buttresses with offsets, string course with gargoyles and battlemented parapets; windows to match east chancel window. South porch possibly C15 in part, with angled corner buttresses, coped gable with uncarved projecting block, and shaft-and-hollow outer archway, moulded semi-circular inner arch to doorway having double ogee and hollow moulding. Tower probably C14, 3 stages; angled corner buttresses 2 stages high, tall plinth, string courses, the upper with gargoyles, battlemented parapets; octagonal plan parapet to south-east corner, crowned with weathervane, to same height as main tower. West door has 4-centred arch with carved spandrils under square label. West window above of 3-light simple Perpendicular tracery, set in hollow pointed-arched recess; remainder of stage 1 and stage 2 all round plain; to stage 3 are 2-light windows with C14 tracery in hollowed recesses with plain-stop labels, filled with decoratively-pierced stone baffles. Interior much altered. C14 chancel arch, but C12 style arches to south and west walls of vestry, the latter possibly original, but the twin shafts now missing from jambs; remainder of work apparently C19 and C20. Nave has acoustic tile ceiling, mostly C19 fittings. Circular tub font on cylindrical base, of uncertain date, set under the high C14 tower arch; C20 part glazed screen behind this arch. Memorials include a tablet on south chancel wall to William Hoskins, died 1760, in black and white marble with open pediment, cartouche of iris and swags; several other C18 and C19 memorials in nave. 1906 art-nouveau style leading to south nave windows; those on north side in process of being reglazed in coloured glass (June 1986) to designs by the parishioners. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.