You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262298  

Print Page



© Mr Jason Brister

IoE Number: 262298
Location: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET (west off)
  HINTON ST GEORGE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Jason Brister
Date Photographed: 30 July 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST4112HINTON ST GEORGE CPCHURCH STREET (West side, off)7/48Church of St George4.2.58GVI

ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP CHURCH STREET (West side, off) 7/48 Church of St George 4.2.58 GV I Anglican Parish Church, including Poulett mausoleum. Some C13 work by masons of Wells Cathedral, C15 and early C16, vestry and north chapel of 1814 said to be by James Wyatt, as James Wyatt died in 1813 this work probably by Jeffry Wyatt, later Sir Jeffry Wyattville). Some late C19 and early C20 work. Ham stone ashlar and near-ashlar; Cornish slate roof to chancel and north chapel, otherwise copper sheet (to be replaced by stainless steel in 1987), all roofs behind parapets. Five-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3 and a half bay nave, 4-bay south aisle, north chapel with vestry, with south porch and west tower. Chancel has plinth, cill offset to east wall, string course and plain parapets, offset corner buttresses; 5-light sub-arcuated east window in hollowed pointed-arched recess, a C19 replacement of 3-light; a 2-light to match in south wall. South aisle similar, with bay buttresses in addition: 5-light east window, 4-light 4-centre-arched southeast window, then a 2-light. West of porch the parapet becomes battlemented, with corner gargoyles to string, 3-light window in south wall, C15 tracery in hollowed recess, and also in west wall. South porch has high moulded plinth, battlemented parapets, offset corner buttresses; C15 outer arch with canopied statue niche over; stone rib and traceried panel vaulted roof, bench seats, moulded inner doorway with a possibly C15 door. Nave visible for one north bay, with 3-light C19 window in recess. North chapel and vestry have chamfered plinth, angled corner and bay buttresses, plain parapet, 3 bays: the centre gabled; 3-light flat-arched north-east window, 4-light C15 style window under gable. Doorway to west, up 5 steps, with Poulett arms and plaque over; on west side entrance to Poulett vault, surrounded by wrought-iron railings; to east the vestry entrance. Tower of 1485-95, 4 stages: full-height offset corner buttresses, strings, battlemented parapets with quatrefoil panels below merlons corner and intermediate pinnacles, weathervane of 1756 by Thomas Bagley of Bridgwater: taller hexagonal south-east corner stair turret. Almost triangular-arched west door, with carved spandrils and square label over. West window 4-light pointed segmental-arched. Stage 2 has small light on north and statue niche to south; spanning two upper stages all faces are 2-light mullioned, transomed and traceried window under pointed arched labels, with pierced stone baffles; clockface under east window. Inside, chancel mostly C19/C20, but wide C16 chancel arch and panelled arches to south aisle and vestry. Nave and aisle ceilings mostly C19 and C20, retaining earlier fragments; C15 shaft and hollow arcade, panelled tower arch. Fittings almost all C19/C20. C13 font had bowl decorated in C15. Organ gallery incorporates Coade stone hatchment of George III dated 1812. Detailed model of church in pre-restoration state dated 1844, in C19 case. North Chapel is the Poulett family pew and has many fine monuments. The earliest, outside the pew, an effigy of a C15 knight, and a brass near pulpit, late C15, to John and Alicia Chudderlee. The Poulett monuments include reused chest tombs to Sir Amyas, died 1537, and Sir Hugh, died 1572, with transitional Perpendicular/Early Renaissance arched recess with figures over; effigy in alabaster of Sir Amyas II died 1588, with French inscription, removed from St Martin-in-the-Fields; canopied tomb with figures to Sir Anthony, died 1600, and his wife, died 1601. The finest, in full Baroque plasterwork, commemorates John, Baron Poulett, died 1649, but may be early l18; others include memorial to John, First Earl Poulett, died 1745, by Rysbrack; and Vere Earl Poulett, died 1819, by Sir R Westmacott. C17 brass in south aisle. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; VCH Somerset Vol IV, l978, pp49-50; Gilson R, Hinton St George, A Short Guide to the Church and Village, Skylark Press, undated).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.