You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262310  

Print Page



© Mr Jason Brister

IoE Number: 262310
Location: PRIORY FARMHOUSE, HIGH STREET (south side)
  HINTON ST GEORGE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Jason Brister
Date Photographed: 30 July 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CPHIGH STREET (South side)ST42127/60Priory Farmhouse8/60

ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP HIGH STREET (South side) ST4212 7/60 Priory Farmhouse 8/60 4,2.58 GV II* Detached house. C14/C15, modified in C17 and C20. Ham stone rubble, ashlar dressings; thatched roof with plain end gables; stone chimney stacks. 'L'-plan; 2 storeys, 5-bay north elevation. Plinth, ovolo-mould mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses, rectangular-leaded with iron-framed opening lights. First floor, 3-light with labels in bays 1, 2, 3 and 4, each set under a small coped gable. Ground floor, tall 4-light windows with labels in bays 1, 2, and 4; C20 ovolo-mould artificial stone windows added - a single-light lower bay 1 left, a 2-light with label lower bay 3 right; bay 5 has a 3-light above and a 4-light below, and there is a 2-light in the short gabled return to the right of bay 5. To lower bay 3 an ovolo and wave-mould cambered-arched doorway in rectangular recess with square label over, framing a C20 boarded door. Between bays 2/3 a projecting chimney stack with offsets. Extending from both ends, northwards, are long low single-storey buildings, with Welsh slate roofs to shallow pitch, the more easterly having a stepped coped gable with ball finial, the western has a plain gable; neither wing has any openings facing into the garden forecourt, but the west block has C20 windows in the west flank. East flank not visible, but main gable said to have a 3-light mullioned window to ground floor, and to first floor level a 2-light pointed arched window with C14/C15 tracery and label over: further mullioned windows in south wall, the lower windows being reset into the wall of a lean-to added lateral passage. Interior not seen; it is reported that the house was extensively altered in the 1960's. Surviving features include a chamfered cambered-arched fireplace in the east room, and another in the adjoining room; one of the middle rooms has a 4-panel ceiling with deep chamfered beams, but no longer fits the room it serves; a section of panelling in the cross passage, reused; above the most interesting room is at the east end, and is apparently a private chapel - it is served by the pointed arched traceried window, and has three jointed cruck trusses with some surviving windbraces in its ceiling, highly decorative with added cusping on the centre truss: several other smoke-blackened trusses survive in the main roof, and some were originally closed with wattle and daub; it is not certain whether the roof here is of jointed crucks or post and frame, but the trusses do not relate to the present stone walls, suggesting early cob or timber frame construction. The house thought to have been an open hall house originally: in the late C17 it was known as the Home Tenement, its present name dating from the late C19: it is possible that the house predated Hinton House as the Manor House: it may have been in the possession of Monkton Farleigh Priory. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p40 VAG Reports, unpublished SRO, November 1972 and l975).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.