No Image Available
WYATT'S COURT (HINTON HOUSE), 1-7 HINTON PARK
HINTON ST GEORGE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
04 February 1958
Date of last amendment:
18 December 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP HINTON PARK
7/74 Nos 1 to 7
(inclusive) Wyatt's Court
(formerly listed as part of
Hinton House and Stables)
The former stable court and riding house to Hinton House (qv). Late C18, by Sir John Soane, continued by James Wyatt
for Earl Poulett, modified in later C20. Ham stone ashlar, parts carefully carved to look like cobbles; concrete slate
roofs behind parapets; ashlar chimney stacks. 'L' plan, 2 storeys. West facade of 9 bays, the end bays set higher.
Plinth, cobbled face walling to ground floor and outer bays at first floor level, string courses, battlemented
parapets. End bays have 12-pane sashes both levels, the central bays have 6-pane sashes to first floor and 12-pane to
ground floors, in plain openings or plain ashlar surrounds when set in 'cobbles'. To lower bay 5 a pair of wide doors
in large keystoned architrave under moulded flat hood on large console brackets; new entrances to nos 2 and 3.
Rainwater stackheads have Poulett arms, and dates 1791, 1795 and 1910. South elevation of 10 bays to match, with one
matching return bay, with 2 upper windows, southwards to Hinton House. Across the north side of the former stable
courtyard a battlemented ashlar wall about 4.5 metres high, with plinth and moulded string on north side: this screens
C20 garages on south side. All elevations to interior of courtyard modified in late 1960s/early 1970s, but no 7 retains
two Gothic revival windows. Interiors not seen but thought to be substantially altered. Range has important group value
with Hinton House. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, pp41-44).