You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262342  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 262342
Location: BOW MILL HOUSE, WITH ATTACHED MILL,
  MERRIOTT, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST41SEMERRIOTT CP ----3/97Bow Mill House, with attached mill4.2.58

ST41SE MERRIOTT CP ---- 3/97 Bow Mill House, with attached mill 4.2.58 GV II Mill house and watermill. Later C17, but some rebuilding after fire in 1862, Has stone ashlar; undulating roof with plain clay tiles over stone slate base courses, between tall coped gables suggesting former thatch; brick chimney stacks. 'L'-plan; 2 storeys with attics, west elevation 5 bays. Hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in chamfered recesses, of 3, 2 and 3 lights first floor bays 3, 4 and 5, 4-lights ground floor bay 3 and 3-light ground floor bay 5, this last being the only with separate label; shared label to ground floor bay 3 and cambered-arched doorway to bay 4, which has pair of earlier C19 doors with toplights. Bay 1, the mill, has a door at first floor level approached by stone steps; part-glazed door to ground floor bay 2. South elevation similar, of 3 bays, with gable to bay 1: 2-light window to attic, 3-light window to first floor, with labels; 2-light without label ground floor bay 1, C20 French doors lower bay 2, 3-light mullioned window with label ground floor bay 3. Leanto at rear, and ground floor extension to mill building having stone access stair to left door on north gable. Interior not seen, but the mill wheel and leat both survived in 1977. This mill first recorded in 1373 present building may follow John Pitts purchase in 1669 mill badly damaged by fire in 1862 but rebuilt: mill apparently not in commercial use after 1896 (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1973, p58).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.