You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262356  

Print Page

© Mr Fred Ballam

IoE Number: 262356
Location: KING'S HEAD INN, 14 CHURCH STREET (north side)
Photographer: Mr Fred Ballam
Date Photographed: 22 September 2002
Date listed: 18 December 1987
Date of last amendment: 18 December 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST4412MERRIOTT CPCHURCH STREET (North side)9/106No 14(King's Head Inn)

ST4412 MERRIOTT CP CHURCH STREET (North side) 9/106 No 14 (King's Head Inn) GV II Inn. Earlier C17. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; double Roman clay tiled roof with high coped gable to west, suggesting former thatch, plain to east; brick end chimney stacks. Two storeys, 3 bays. Plinth, band course. Hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in chamfered recesses without labels; to bay 1 a 1 + 4 + 1 light angled shallow bay window with flat roof: to bay 2 are 4-light windows to both floors; bay 3 has horizontal-bar casements, 3-light above and 4-light below. Between bays 2 and 3 a plain doorway. Large hanging sign on wrought iron bracket to left of upper bay 1. West gable rendered; east gable has a C20 casement window. Leanto extension at rear. Interior only seen at ground floor level; timber crossbeams and a fireplace survive. This inn was in business by 1745 (VCH Somerset; Vol IV, 1978, p53).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.