© Mr Fred Ballam
FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL, SANDY HOLE (east side)
MERRIOTT, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Fred Ballam
22 September 2002
18 December 1987
Date of last amendment:
18 December 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST4412 MERRIOTT CP SANDY HOLE (East side)
9/152 Former Sunday School
Former Anglican Sunday school, now used as part of Merriott First School (qv). 1834. Ham stone rubble; gables and
dressings in ashlar; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables having cross finials, metal ventilators to ridge;
later brick chimney stacks on west side. Single-storey, 5 bays. West elevation has hollow-chamfer mullioned windows,
2-light with segmental arched light heads and incised spandrils, set under square labels. To centre bay an
elliptical-arched recess under square label, with pair of studded and boarded doors, up a flight of 5+1 stone steps
with wrought-iron handrail. Above doorway a plaque inscribed "Redeem thy Creator in the days of thy youth - Ecc 12".
Extension on north gable behind wing wall, which has plain doorway. South gable has a 4-light transomed window to
latch, set high, with plaque over inscribed 'Merriott Sunday School 1834". East elevation matches west, except that
centre bay has a taller window with transome, the head being set into a gable. Interior not seen, but apparently little
altered. By 1861 this building used as a National Day School, then in 1875/6 became a mixed Board school, after the
erection of the Infants Board school across the road: both schools were merged as Merriott First School in 1972 (VCH
Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p61).