You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262425  

Print Page



© Mr Phil Emond

IoE Number: 262425
Location: CREWKERNE RAILWAY STATION, STATION ROAD (east side)
  MISTERTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Phil Emond
Date Photographed: 01 June 2003
Date listed: 01 March 1973
Date of last amendment: 01 March 1973
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST40NEMISTERTON CPSTATION ROAD (East side)6/175Crewkerne Railway Station.3.73

ST40NE MISTERTON CP STATION ROAD (East side) 6/175 Crewkerne Railway Station .3.73 II Railway station. 1859, for opening of the London and South-Western Railway in 1860. Probably designed by Sir William Tite. Ham stone ashlar; steeply-pitched Welsh slate roofs with ornamental clay tile ridges between very high coped gables; stone chimney stacks. Mostly single storey, but the station-masters house 3 storeys with attic, north roadside elevation 7 bays, of which bay 2 is the house, with leanto to east; bays 3, 4 and 5 the ticket office and entrance throughway; bay 6 is an office crosswing and bay 7 double-roof plan offices. High Victorian gothic style. Plinth; chamfered mullioned windows with plain sashes, the leanto has a 2-light above and two single-lights below. House has 4-centre arched doorway to left, with incised spandrils under label with deep drop, 3-light window to right; above a single-and a 3-light to first floor, 3-light to second in pointed segemental-arched opening, with slim gable vent to attic: bays 3, 4 and 7 have 2-light windows and bay 6 a 3-light, with shield plaque in gable over; moulded segmental arched doorway to bay 5. The south platform side to match, with the date 1859 in the crosswing gable: simple platform canopy on cast iron columns, the west end bay apparently rebuilt. (VCH Somerset Vol IV, 1978, p62).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.