You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262453  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 262453
Location: PERROTT HILL SCHOOL, WILLIS'S LANE (south off)
  NORTH PERROTT, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 30 January 2005
Date listed: 18 December 1987
Date of last amendment: 18 December 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST40NENORTH PERROTT CPWILLIS'S LANE (South side, off)6/203North Perrott Manor House(Perrott Hill School)

ST40NE NORTH PERROTT CP WILLIS'S LANE (South side, off) 6/203 North Perrott Manor House (Perrott Hill School) GV II* Former manor house, now a private school. 1877, by T.H. Wyatt, architect, for P.M. Hoskyns. Ham stone ashlar; plain clay tiled roofs, mostly between or behind moulded coped gables; ashlar chimney stacks. In a late C16 style. 'L'- plan; 2 storeys with attics: north-west elevation 10 bays, with north-west projecting wing. Plinth, string course: in bays 1 to 7 sash windows with transomes and moulded reveals: bay 4 has a 4-light double transomed king-mullioned stair window: windows to bays 8, 9 and return wing have secondary glazing bars. To bay 2 protecting 2-storey porch having open seal-circular archway flanked by paired Doric columns, carved band above, then 4-light windows flanked by paired Ionic columns, ornamental parapet. Large attic gables to bays 1/2, and 3/4, small gable bays 6/7. On south-east side a single-storey orangery with C16 style perforated parapet. South east elevation of 5 gabled bays, with 2 segmental bay windows, 2-storey bay 1 and single-storey bay 4 added in 1900; ground floor bay 2 has a 3-arched loggia. Late C20 buildings added on north-west corner, not of special interest. Interiors of high quality and little altered; moulded plaster ceilings, wall panelling, fine staircase and good joinery generally: some fine timber and marble chimneypieces, one featuring a painting. Orangery roof shattered by wartime bomb damage, and replaced by flat roof, (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; In RIBA Drawings Collection there is a House at Crewkerne for Mr Hoskins by T.H. Wyatt and David Brandon but this partnership was dissolved by 1851).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.