You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262616  

Print Page



© Mr Derek C. J. Garrett

IoE Number: 262616
Location: ASHINGTON MANOR,
  CHILTON CANTELO, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Derek C. J. Garrett
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST52SECHILTON CANTELO CPASHINGTON4/4Ashington Manor

ST52SE CHILTON CANTELO CP ASHINGTON 4/4 Ashington Manor 19.4.61 - II* Manor House. C15 onwards. Ham stone ashlar; stone slated roof hipped at the East end, with West and North gables coped; stone chimney stacks with moulded caps. "L" plan: 2-storeys with attic: South elevation of 3-bays. Central modern door in heavy frame, with slightly projecting flat roofed porch with a keystoned 4-centre arch of very rural detail; to left angled bay window of 6-lights width having hollow chamfered mullions, and transomes to ground floor only, single light to first floor only; obelisk pinnacled gable on corbelled kneelers with further 3-light mullion attic window with label: to right 3-light matching mullioned windows without labels: small 2-light windows over doorway with wrought iron casement stay: to the South-west corner a buttress with string course and featuring stone wyvern carving, for St. Barbe. West elevation of 5-bays; bay one having small staircase projection with small windows; bays 2, 3 and 4 having a variety of hollow chamfered mullioned windows; bay 5 gabled and somewhat altered, with C16 and later windows: several lean-to additions on East side including one of C20 in brick; prominent stepped chimney stacks of C17. Interior considerably altered but contains much of interest, including five C17 fireplaces, one with sword decoration in the spandrils to the cambered arch; a variety of doors and doorcases from arched C15 2-, 4-, and 6-panel doors of C17 and C18; two staircases, one stone C17, another probably C18, also in one bedroom a portion of wall painting featuring an angel: Some internal ferramenta to the West windows indentical to that of Church of St Vincent, Ashington (qv). The house originally twice its present size; the South front being halved, with the doorway relocated, after 1820: some Quatrefoil panels from the former central projecting porch now set into the walls of the closeby outbuilding now called "Magnolia Cottage", not included, immediately North-east of the house property. The West facade was similarly shortened. Of pre-Conquest origins, it was in the overlordship of Blastonbury Abbey; families associated with it include de Curcelle, and from 1390 to 1901 the St. Barbes, becoming St. Barbe Sy4enha. from 1722, in 1940 it passed to the Church Commisioners. (Francis Goulding, Ashington, Chilton Cantelo, Mudford - the Story of Three Somerset Parishes, 1982; VA6 report, unpublished SRD, 1976; illustrated in pre-1820 in "Gentlemen's Magazine', 1887).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.