You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262626  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 262626
Location: CHILTON CANTELO HOUSE,
  CHILTON CANTELO, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 16 August 1984
Date of last amendment: 16 August 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST52SECHILTON CANTELO CP4/14Chilton Cantelo House-

ST52SE CHILTON CANTELO CP 4/14 Chilton Cantelo House - GV II Manor House, now school. C18 with earlier fragments, but extended and "restored" in the 1860's leaving little original work. Local stone worked to small ashlars, with Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs with Dutch gables, some parts with parapets; stone chimney stacks. Complex building, mostly in a Jacobean style; of 2-storeys with attics. Main North elevation of 7 bays, bay 6 occupied by projecting stacks, bay 7 blank. Central entrance door flanked by Doric attached columns and pilasters, with sidelights between and semi-circular fanlight over door; above a 4-light oriel style window: remaining windows of cruciform pattern; dormer windows in roof with semi-circular timber heads with pinnacles. West elevation of 5-bays with left-hand projecting gable and square 5-lights wide 2-storey bay window. The interior not seen. In C13 associated with the Cantilupes of Barwick Manor, and sundry families down to the Countess of Hertford (1729-80), then to Mrs John Old Goodford, nee Maria Phelips of Montacute: most of the Old family emigrated to the U.S.A., where they founded the Oldsmobile car manufactory: the Goodfords still resident in the village. Henry Goodford added the North extension and Hall prior to his death in 186S; the kitchen and service accommodation added by his brother, the Rector in circa 1865. It is not recorded if Sir Arthur Blomfield, restorer of the Church, directed the work, but affinities in style make this likely. (Francis Goulding, Ashington, Chilton Cantelo, Mudford - the Story of Three Somerset Parishes,1982 Truman Press, Somersetshire Country Houses and Villages, 1931-32).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.