You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262636  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Roberts

IoE Number: 262636
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHURCH STREET (east side)
  LIMINGTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Brian Roberts
Date Photographed: 16 May 2004
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST5422LIMINGTON CPCHURCH STREET (East sidel8/25Church of Saint Mary19.4.61

ST5422 LIMINGTON CP CHURCH STREET (East sidel 8/25 Church of Saint Mary 19.4.61 6V I Church. Late C14 with earlier fragments. North door and footings of nave and tower of Norman period; the South porch C13; the nave and tower basically C14; the North chapel a fine example, of 1328; the Chancel of C15 but restored in C19. Local stone, mostly cut, squared and random coursed; with Ham stone dressings: plain clay tile roofs with coped gables, except to the North chapel, which has large stone slabs over a stone vault. 2- cell plan with 2-bay chancel and 4-bay nave, with added North chapel, South porch and West tower. Chancel of near-ashlar stonework, with plinth, corner offset buttresses almost full height and coving course at eaves: East window a sub-arcuated 4-light tracery window of the late C15 in a hollow chamfered recess without label, with two 2-light windows to match on North and South sides: between the South windows a plain doorway with 4-centre moulded arch and jambs. The nave has slight plinth full height buttresses and an eaves course: on the South side a C14 curvilinear tracery 2-light window with relieving arch and no label; the porch with segmental pointed arch; then a 4-light hollow chamfer mullioned window of c 1500 with traces of a relieving arch over the label, then a small single light of probably C16; on the North a 2-light plate tracery window with 2 Quatrefoils and one octofoil in circles of late C13 and a blocked semi-circular arched doorway. The North chapel has plinth, angled corner buttresses almost full height and cill height intermediates; the North window 3-light, East and West 2-lights, all C14 curvilinear tracery; above the North window a trefoil arched statue niche, and in East wall a blocked 4-centre arched doorway. Tower in 3 stages marked by string courses; simple pointed chamfer arched West doorway, and above a 3-light window of late C15; at second-level a smaller 2-light West window, and a similar window to each face at third level, these with pierced stone baffles; above these small pierced roundels with curvilinear tracery; low parapet, with gargoyles at corner; stair turret with slit windows on North side crowned by weathervane. Inside, the porch has stone seats and a pointed arch C13 doorway with a possibly C14 door with old ironwork and lock. Chancel unplastered with an apparently C19 ribbed barrel vault in timber, with cusped trefoil arched piscina, chancel arch of c 1380. Nave plastered, with C19 crown post roof trusses, arch to North chapel of 1328, tower arch possibly c 1280 having grotesque figures to capital/corbel brackets. North chapel has ribbed stone barrel vault, pointed rere-arches to North and West windows, and fine cinquefoil cusped arched niche in North wall, also a simple piscina. Fittings include an early C17 altar table, C14 popyhead choirstalls, a C17 pulpit, and an octagonal panelled font of early C16. There are four good effigies in the North chapel, with traces of colouring, including those of the chapel builder Sir Richard Gyvernay, died 1329, a son and his second wife. The six bells, the earliest of C15, now lowered, March 1983. 3-fine incised C18 memorial slabs in the tower. Earliest known rector 1215; Thomas Wolsey later Cardinal, held the living 1500-1509, but probably did not live here after becoming chaplain to Archbishop of Canterbury in 1501.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.