You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262755  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Cook

IoE Number: 262755
Location: THE RECTORY, PARSONAGE ROAD (west side)
  WEST CAMEL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Cook
Date Photographed: 24 September 2007
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 16 August 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST52SEWEST CAMEL CPPARSONAGE ROAD (West side)4/147The Rectory(Previously listed as19.4.61Rectory and Glebe Cottage)

ST52SE WEST CAMEL CP PARSONAGE ROAD (West side) 4/147 The Rectory (Previously listed as 19.4.61 Rectory and Glebe Cottage) GV II* Rectory, now house. Probably early C15 with modifications and major addition of circa 1830. Local stone roughly coursed, with Ham stone dressings to mullioned windows; Welsh slate roofs, between coped gables to the early wing and hipped with wide eaves soffites to the C19 wing; brick chimney stacks. "T"-plan of 2-storeys, the older North wing being set at right angles to the later. North elevation has 6-bay random fenestration; Bay-1 plain chamfer mullioned window, nothing above: bay-2 modern casement window below and 3-light ovolo mould mullioned casement window with leaded lights above, complete with wrought iron casement window stay; bay 3 a C20 glazed door with C19 casement window above; bay 4 wooden casement window below and early casement window with leaded lights above; bay 5 old casement window with leaded lights and wood lintol with nothing above; bay-6 old casement windows with leaded lights at both levels. The East, roadside, gable has hollow chamfered mullioned window, blocked with label dressed off, together with later mullioned windows; low down in the South-east corner traces of a stone door arch or relieving arch. On the small South return wall another blocked pointed arch doorway. The matching C19 wing, running Southwards, has 2-storeys of 5-bays, with central 6-panel door with fanlight; 12-pane sash windows, all in plain openings with flat voussoired heads. Interior said to contain 4 cusped-archbraced cruck trusses with king-strut braces to the North wing roof, unusual in Somerset and with suggested date of 1400. Rooms considerably re-arranged and original plan form uncertain. The older wing may form part of the Grange pertaining to Muchelney Abbey; the South wing probably added by Revd. Henry Law, Rectory 1824 to 1836. With the C15 Barn (qv) and Dovecote (qv) this is an important group survival. (VA6 Report, unpublished SRO, 1980; E.K. Garrett, The Story of West Camel, unpublished MSS in Yeovil Public Library).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.