You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262788  

Print Page



©  David Wood LRPS

IoE Number: 262788
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, PYLE LANE (south side)
  YEOVILTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: David Wood LRPS
Date Photographed: 18 July 2000
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST52SWYEOVILTON CPPYLE LANE (South side)3/172Church of Saint Bartholomew19.4.61

ST52SW YEOVILTON CP PYLE LANE (South side) 3/172 Church of Saint Bartholomew 19.4.61 GV II* Church. Circa 1300, severly restored in 1872. Local lias stone cut squared and coursed, with Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles with bands of fish scale tiles between coped gables. 2-cell church, with 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave with added South-chapel, North porch and West tower. Chancel has 3-cusped light East window with C14 tracery, with 2-light ogee-head traceried windows to sides; angled corner buttresses with offsets, bay buttresses to full height; narrow door between windows on South side, now blockedi remains of small figure in trefoiled niche over East window. Nave has 2-light pointed arch Perpendicular windows, much restored on South side. South chapel seems mostly of C19 although remains of a Norman doorway arch used as a band course under South window. South porch may be mostly C14 work, with small 2-light opening with trefoil rere-arch in East wall, and sexfoil window on West side, plain doorway arches. Tower rather heavy, in 3 stages of plain detail and square proportions. West door in moulded almost semi-circular headed arch in a flat headed recess, the spandrils foliated, door possibly C16, with sanctuary handle; Above a 3-light window, evidently C19 restoration; on North side a statue recess possibly of late C15, much eroded; very small rectangular windows in North and South walls, stage 2, then almost triangular headed 2-light C15 traceried windows to each face of stage 3. Plinth, string courses each stage, and low slightly crenellated parapet, centre gargoyles and corner pinnacles. Octagonal stair turret in South-west corner. Interior locked and not accessible - said to contain a C14 piscina in the chancel with an ogee arch, resting on a bust corbel; double-chamfered chancel and tower arches dying into imposts, a nave wagon-roof with bosses; statue bracket on South wall of the nave, and rere-arches to windows of nave and chancel of late C13/early C14. The money to build the tower bequeathed by a Rector in 1486. (Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England - South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.