You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262807  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 262807
Location: CHURCH OF ST DAVID, BROADCLOSE WAY (south side)
  BARTON ST DAVID, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 17 December 2003
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST53SWBARTON ST DAVID CPBROADCLOSE WAY (South side)2/2Church of St David17.4.59

ST53SW BARTON ST DAVID CP BROADCLOSE WAY (South side) 2/2 Church of St David 17.4.59 GV II* Parish Church. C12 to C15, with major C19 restoration. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Doulting stone dressings; plain clay tiled roofs between coped gables, with stone slates to north porch. Cruciform plan chancel 2 bays, nave 3-bays, trancepts one bay each, with added north porch and octagonal north east tower. Chancel mostly C19, 2-bays; paired offset corner buttresses with small buttress under east window, which is 3-light C14 traceried without label; in north wall small cinquefoil cusped lancet; to south double chamfered pointed arched doorway east of another cusped lancet. South transept rebuilt 1894; plinth, double corner buttresses; only a chimney to east; south window matches chancel east window. Nave has similar buttresses, with a 2-light and a 3-light elliptical arched, flat head windows without labels, in south wall, also remains of blocked segmental arched doorway; 4-light west window with C19 tracery of late C14 style; no windows north, north porch possibly C18; plain segmental outer arch; inner doorway C13 with single jamb shafts and open semi-cirular arch with chevron and lozengo decoration, door at least C18. north transept has 3-light ovolo mould mullioned window with flat head and label. Tower octagonal, in three stages, probably C15; rendered with string courses, corner gargoyles, battlemented parapets; bottom stage has cinquefoil cusped-light in hollow moulded recess north face and hollow moulded pointed arched doorway to east; stage 2 has similar window again on north face; to principal quarters stage 3 are 2-light C15 traceried windows in hollow moulded recesses. Inside, chancel mostly Cl9; cusped rere-arches to windows, cinquefoil cusped piscina, and almost triangular headed long squint into tower; narrow C13 chancel and transept arches with simple chamfered pointed arches, jamb shafts with turned bases and capitals; with added segmental arched opening to south. Now mostly C19; octagonal-panelled pulpit with door and heavy cornice, early C17; C13 stone font on C19 base, a plain octagonal bowl with moulded underside and plain shaft to moulded plinth; fragment of C17-panelling in rear dado; over chancel arch a painting of King David with harp. Earliest recorded rector 1309.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.