You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262830  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 262830
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL (east side)
  CHARLTON MACKRELL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 04 September 2003
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST52NWCHARLTON MACKRELL CPCHURCH HILL (East side)CHARLTON ADAM5/25Church of St Peter and St Paul

ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP CHURCH HILL (East side) CHARLTON ADAM 5/25 Church of St Peter and St Paul 17.4.59 GV I Parish Church. C14 origins, mostly C15, restored by H. Wilson 1892. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; stone slate roofs between coped gables. 3 cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3 bay nave and single-bay south chantry chapel, with west tower and south porch. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttress with moulded offsets, gabletted cross finial at east end; 3-light C15 cinquefoil cusped east window set in hollowed recesss; 2 small cusped lancets on north side, buttress between, and on south side early C15 traceried 2-light window in hollowed recess, the cill having been raised; to left angled projection forming link between chantry chapel and chancel, having small moulded arched doorway and 2-light C16 window. Chantry chapel has plinth, angled corner buttresses, with 4-light flat-headed square labelled windows in both east and south walls. Nave mostly rendered; plinth and plain offset-bay buttresses; in north wall projection with small C14 window for former rood stair, then two 2-light C15 traceried windows with arched labels and square stops; on south wall a smaller 2-light C15 window set in hollowed recess south porch has angled corner buttress, and moulded pointed arched doorway with arched label with square stops; inside a plainer possibly C14 arch, but with ovolo mould to runouts and C18 door; two cinquefoil niches, one over door and one in east wall, both with statues. Small C20 boiler house set low on north east corner. Tower has 3 stages: tall plinth, angled offset buttress to near-full height, string courses with gargoyles to top, slightly battlemented parapet and pyramidal roof; square plan stair turret north east corner, full height, with small slit windows and a small drilled window at base: moulded pointed arch west door, with 3-light C15 traceried window above set into hollowed recess, breaking into string course which forms label; on stage 2 stall 2-light window on west face, and similar windows with wood baffles to each face stage 3; clockface under south window. Inside, the chancel has timber rib and plaster-panel segmental vault ceiling, small C15 moulded chancel arch, C19 squint in south wall; plain piscina possibly C14, fittings Cl9 and C20. Nave has timber ribbed barrel vault with moulded principals, formerly with plastered-panels; C16/C17 moulded 3 centre arch into chantry chapel, C15 tower arch; former rood loft stair in north wall. Chantry chapel has vaulted ribbed roof, formerly plastered. Fittings include simple tulip bowl font on turned base, probably early C14; a pulpit of early C17, 3-panelled on each face with moulded top, on C19 base; several paintings. Monuments include that to Thomas Basket, died 1592, a standing wall monument in Ham stone with strap cartouche with inscription between two Doric columns carrying pedimented hood with finials and shields; over squint two black painted Keinton slabs to Anne Bonham, died 1638, and silos Strangways, died 1677, the latter having pedimented hood on Doric columns with ball finials, distinctly rural; several other C18 painted Keinton stone-panels. Reredos a copy of a fresco by Perugino by late Mrs C Neville, of The Abbey (qv). A few fragments of C15 stained glass in west window (Hamilton and Long, Some Account of the Parishes of Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell, 1961).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.