You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 262907  

Print Page



© Mr Tony Dallimore

IoE Number: 262907
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  KINGWESTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Tony Dallimore
Date Photographed: 06 November 2002
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST53SWKINGWESTON CP-2/102Church of All Saints

ST53SW KINGWESTON CP - 2/102 Church of All Saints 17.4.59 GV II* Parish Church. Some medieval fragments, but largely rebuilt by C.E. Giles of Taunton, 1852-55. Local lias stone ashlar, with Doulting stone dressings; stone slate roofs with ornamented stone ridges between coped gables with elaborate cross finials. In a C13 style. 2-cell plan having 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with south tower with spire over porch, and small north east vestry. Chancel has plinth, eaves course, double corner buttresses; 3 light east window with geometric tracery under pointed arch label with foliated stops; two 2-light matching windows in south wall flanking moulded pointed arched doorway, all with pointed arched labels having foliated stops; on north wall vestry to match, with lean-to roof, circular chimney stack, 2-light east window, and west of Vestry a 2-light window to match south wall. Nave has plinth, corner and bay buttresses; taller 2-light windows with cusped tops and quatrefoil in circle tracery over, pointed arched labels and foliated stops; matching 4-light west window. Tower is single stage with spire; plinth, double corner buttresses for most of tower height, with quasi-broaches to octagonal spire, at the base of wich are 8 two light geometric traceried windows with ball flower ornament to reveals, under quatrefoiled gablets with pinnacles and gargoyles; spire plain with simple apex and weathervane; octagonal stair turret in south west corner; in south face a moulded doorway in C13 style with attached shafts with bell capitals, foliated stops to arched label; plain slit windows on west, south and east faces and clock on south face. Inside porch a C12 semi-circular arched doorway without tympanum, lozenge decoration to inner arch and jambs and chevron to upper outer arch, which has attached shafts and cushion capitals to jambs. Interior totally C19, but of elaborate workmanship. Chancel has arched braced roof with elaborate frets at wall plate level, on very heavily foliated corbel brackets, with angels to east corners; cinquefoil rere-arches to windows and carved angels and foliage to jambs of south east window, above simple sedilia: chancel fittings unremarkable. Nave similar in character but plainer; ashlar finished walls, quasi arch-braced crown post trussed roof; towards west end fine C12 font, plain bowl, moulded turned shaft and base. First recorded rector 1316.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.