You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263124  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Cook

IoE Number: 263124
Location: STEMBRIDGE MILL, WINDMILL ROAD (south side)
  HIGH HAM, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Cook
Date Photographed: 07 August 2004
Date listed: 07 February 1986
Date of last amendment: 07 February 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HIGH HAM CPWINDMILL ROAD (South side)ST43SWEAST FIELD2/59Stembridge Mill-

HIGH HAM CP WINDMILL ROAD (South side) ST43SW EAST FIELD 2/59 Stembridge Mill - II* - Windmill. 1822. Local lias stone roughly coursed; shaped thatched roof with plain gable over weatherboarded superstructure; wood sail frames. Circular plan. On north side, boarded door in heavy frame, up 4 steps, with a lower door in east face and a smaller door on south face; small casement windows on east side. Former bakery building to rear. Inside, four floors, and incomplete gear which once drove two pairs of stones: fireplace in lowest floor, the flue carried in wall to an outlet just below the cap. The mill stopped working by wind in 1897, and steam power was introduced; the drive shaft and gears are still in place; the French stones have balance weight pockets let into plaster backs, patented by Clark and Dunham in 1859. On the meal floor, below the stone floor, is a wire machine for dressing flour. The only surviving windmill in Somerset, it is the only thatched mill left in England. Acquired by National Trust in 1969, partly restored by them, further work in hand October 1984 (Watts, M: Somerset Windmills, Agraphicus, 1975; Couthard A J and Watts M, Windmills of Somerset and the men who worked them, - 1978).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.