You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263214  

Print Page



© Mr Graham Slocombe LRPS

IoE Number: 263214
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, THE GREEN (east side)
  LONG SUTTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Graham Slocombe LRPS
Date Photographed: 19 October 1999
Date listed: 07 February 1986
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LONG SUTTON CP THE GREEN (East side) ST4625 12/148 Church of the Holy Trinity 17.4.59 GV I Anglican Parish Church. Latter half of C15, finished 1493. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressings; stone slate roofs between stepped coped gabled with finials to chancel and north porch, elsewhere sheet lead roofs behind parapets Plan of 6 units; 3-bay chancel; 4-bay nave, north and south aisles with single-bay chapel at east end of each; north and south porches; west tower. Chancel has plinth, string and eaves courses, corner gargoyles, angled corner and bay buttresses: 5-light mullioned and transomed east window set in hollow pointed arched recess; smaller 3-light windows, 2 each side north and south, and moulded pointed arched doorway to middle bay south side. North aisle has plinth to chapel only, battlemented parapet with string course and gargoyles; east chapel window of 3 lights, mullioned and transomed; north chapel and aisle bay 1 have tall 4-light windows, otherwise 3-light windows, all to match, all in hollow pointed arched recesses, no west window: south aisle similar, but with octagonal stair turret between chapel and aisle. Both porches simple, with angled corner buttresses and moulded pointed arched doorways; the south now blocked, with small statue recess and cross over former opening; the north porch has a C20 roof, a statue niche - possibly C19 - in the east wall, and matching inner doorway with seeming original door and ironwork, including sanctuary ring. Nave clerestorey has 4-centre arched windows and battlemented parapets, with curious stone head peeping through on north side. Tower of 4 stages: moulded plinth bands, string courses with gargoyles at top, battlemented parapets; offset double corner buttresses, changing to single angled buttresses at top stage, with gabletted crocketted finials: octagonal full height stair turret to south east corner: moulded pointed arched west doorway under square label with square stops, foliated spandrils, flanked by 2 small statue niches and with a stoup on north side; above, a 5-light window with two traceried transomes, flanked by two slim statue niches; on north side stage 1 are 2 niches with canopies, south side plain: stage 2 plain, save for clock face on west side: stage 3 has 2-light C15 windows flanked by canopied niches on all but south side, which has single niche only: top stage could be later - one open and 2 blind windows to 3 faces, with diagonal pilasters between, open windows having stone pierced baffles, one on west side dated 1622; single open window on south side. Internally, chancel has a ceiled wagon-roof, moulded ribs and plaster panels, with bosses; a 3-seat sedilia with 4-centre arched heads to recesses, and a C15 piscina; panelled arches into side chapels, remaining work C19. Chancel arch has fine C15 wood screen, coloured on west face, continued across chapels. Nave has C15 tie beam roof, the east bay coloured, and C15 arcades: fine coloured timber pulpit, with C20 wood figures in the statue niches, dated 1455-58, with fly approach stair. Under-tower space has lierne vault, and a C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels, panelled coving to slim base, C17 font cover: in north aisle a small stoup near entrance to chapel, and in chapel a C17 altar table and some medieval floor tiles: in south aisle a banded chest dated 1653; in south Chapel the organ. Memorials include tablet to Elizabeth Banbury, died l716, with Corinthian columns and entablature, side and bottom swags; also a number of C16 and C17 Keinton stone slabs in floor. (VCH, vol III, 1974; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Sonerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.