You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263267  

Print Page



© Mr Graham Slocombe LRPS

IoE Number: 263267
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL,
  MUCHELNEY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Graham Slocombe LRPS
Date Photographed: 25 October 1999
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MUCHELNEY CPST42SW8/205Church of SS Peter and Paul17.4.59

MUCHELNEY CP ST42SW 8/205 Church of SS Peter and Paul 17.4.59 GV I Anglican Parish Church. Saxon origins, but mostly earlier C15. Local lias stone roughly cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs between stepped coped gables to nave and chancel, elsewhere sheet lead. Six-unit plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, north and south aisles, with single-bay chapels to east end of each aisle, with north porch, south vestry and west tower. Chancel has double plinth, angled corner buttresses, panelled with pinnacles at heads; middle C15 traceried windows, 5-light to east, 3-light to side walls, set in hollowed recesses under labels, that to east extended as a string. South chapel plainer, possibly modified in C19; plinth, angled corner buttress, eaves course; 3-light C15 traceried windows in hollowed recesses without labels; south aisle similar, but with 2-light windows under labels. South vestry, of C19 also matches. North chapel has double plinth, angled corner buttresses, string course with gargoyles and battlemented parapet, with 3-light C15 traceried windows to east and north, with small moulded pointed arched doorway without label in north wall, possibly early C19. North aisle similar to south, but the 2-light windows have unusual moulded imposts to mullions and jambs, and there is a string course with battlemented parapets, with quatrefoil panels to merlons: north porch matches this, but is two storey and taller, having angled corner buttresses, moulded outer pointed arch with small floriated capitals; above 2-light window without label; small stair chamfer in north west angle; inside lierne vault with bosses and central quatrefoil panel, statue recess with cinquefoil arch; moulded inner arch without capitals. Tower in 3 stages; double plinth, pairs of full-height corner buttresses. south east octagonal stair turret with outer door, string courses, battlemented parapet with corner and central pinnacles: west doorway 4-centre arched with quatrefoil spandrils under square label, and above 5-light sub-arcuated window with plain transome, in hollowed recess, curved label extended as string; to side of door a column stoup, set rather high; south face plain first stage, but north has 2-light blind traceried panel flanked by 2 shallow canopied recesses: stage 2 has similar blind window and statue recesses on 3 sides, but to south a small cinquefoil cusped window in square hollowed recess: stage 3 has pairs 2-light windows with pierced timber baffles with labels extended as strings, divided by diagonal set shafts crowned with pinnacle - single window only south face. Inside, chancel has rib and panel vault with coloured bosses, panelled arches to side chapels, very wide chancel arch with small capitals to outer shafts; under south east window a 3-seater sedilia with double ogee canopies, small cusped arch piscina in east wall; C13 sanctuary floor tiles came from Muchelney Abbey (q.v). Lady Chapel installed 1873. Nave has ribbed and boarded ceiling with early C17 paintings of angels, cherubs and clouds, with star panels at east end and crude sun in centre; arcades all C15, with 4-hollow piers; south chapel has stone reredos of four niches said to come from elsewhere in parish; aisles have chamfer beam and panel ceilings; C13 coffin slab forms part of arch to north porch, parvise stair nearby; panelled arch into vestry in south aisle; under-tower space has fan-vault ceiling, and blocked inner doorway to stair. Fittings include font of Cl5, octagonal on panelled shaft, quatrefoil panels with figures on principal faces, and corner added shafts, step has more C13 tiles; pulpit and lectern of 1830, taken from Chapel of the Lord Mayor of Bristol in 1889/1892; pews late Cl8/early C19 box pews, with matching dado panelling; two C17 chairs in chancel and Cl7 corner cupboard and chest in south aisle; two medieval wood figures mounted in panelled arch to south aisle. George III hatchment board in north aisle, with later carving of Royal arms over north door; fragment of C17 tapestry in tower spacer oil painting of Christ in the Sepulchre over high altar. Medieval fragments of stained glass in east window and some C17/C18 glass in side chancel windows, both surrounded by gaudy C19 work. (VCH, Vol III, 1974; Revd C P Terrell, A Guide to Muchelney Church, unpublished, undated.).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.