You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263380  

Print Page



© Mr Terry Abbiss

IoE Number: 263380
Location: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY,
  LOVINGTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Terry Abbiss
Date Photographed: 07 July 2004
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LOVINGTON CPST53SELOVINGTON VILLAGE1/55Church of St Thomas of Cantebury24.3.61

LOVINGTON CP ST53SE LOVINGTON VILLAGE 1/55 Church of St Thomas of Cantebury 24.3.61 GV II* Anglican parish church. C13 origins; restored and enlarged in 1861. Local grey lias stone cut and squared, Doulting stone dressings; Welsh slate roof to chancel, plain clay tile roof to nave having bands of fishscale tiles, between coped gables with cross finials, catslide roof to north aisle. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle, with north-east corner vestry, south porch and west tower. Chancel apparently C15, but with east wall rebuilt in C19: plinth, angled corner buttresses, eaves course; 3-light C15 traceried east window, with 2-light window on sides to match, one to north and two to south; between the latter a narrow moulded pointed arched doorway. Nave mostly C19, with a 3-light and a 2-light window in south wall, both with C15 style tracery, divided by C19 porch having plain outer arch and a moulded 4-centre-arched inner doorway, with stoup to right of door and trefoil cusped statue niche over, small 2-light side windows. North aisle a C19 addition; plinth, bay buttresses, chimney to north-east corner; 2-light C15 style traceried windows, with a single light window in west wall; vestry added on east end, having single-light window in east wall and door in recess between vestry and chancel. Tower of C13 origins, modified and possibly heightened in C19: 3 stages double plinth, angled corner buttresses 2 stages high; string courses, the top with gargoyles, plain parapet; north-east corner stair turret one stage high: small west door in moulded 4-centre archway under arched label with foliated square stops, above a simple 2-light window in hollowed arched recess, rather deep, with ornamental cill - otherwise plain to lowest stage: stage 2 plain on all but south face, which has a small thin lancet window of C13; third stage may be C19, with C15 style 2-light pointed arched windows with pierced stone baffles to all faces. Inside, chancel has C15 character; plain plastered barrel vault ceiling, a simple arched piscina and a C15 or C16 surround to an aumbrey in north wall, with door dated 1842; simple double chamfer chancel arch, possibly C14. Nave mostly C19: arched braced roof trusses, some moulded arched recesses in south wall, one possibly a piscina, and also some arches by the pulpit - the arcade C19, as is the north aisle. Furniture includes C17 altar table and a sanctuary chair; font and pulpit Cl9; several C16 bench ends with poppy-head finials to pews. First recorded rector 1318. (Pevsner, Bui1dings of England, South and West Somerset 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.