You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263450  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 263450
Location: THE TOWN HALL, MARKET PLACE (south side)
  ILCHESTER, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 23 February 2004
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The Town Hall, Market Place. 10/68 8/68 ------------------------------------ The Town Hall, Market Place. 10/68 8/68 ------------------------------------ ST5222 ILCHESTER CP MARKET PLACE (South side) 10/68 The Town Hall l9.4.61 GV II Town Hall. 1812-1816, but incorporating parts of building of late C17 date; several C20 modifications. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; hipped Welsh slate roof behind parapets; brick chinmey stacks. Two storeys, 5 bays. Plinth, cornice band, plain parapet; to lower bays 1 and 2 chamfer mullioned windows in plain recesses, 3-light without labels; to all upper bays except bay 4, 16-pane sash windows with voussoired flat arches; to lower bay 3 a large chamfered semi-circular arch with small keystone, partly blocked and with pair plain boarded studded doors inserted; pair doors in deep recess to upper bay 4, approached by large stone and concrete staircase, added in 1920, blocking out lower bays 4 and 5. West wall rebuilt 1969 with 5+5 light mullioned windows under labels at both levels replacing a large C17 20-light mullioned and transomed window. Facing rear courtyard one oak framed and mullioned window with surviving sections of lead casing and small glass panes. Inside, vestiges of a court room still evident at west end, and the first floor assembly room of 1812 with simple decorative plaster vaulted ceiling. Ilchester was the county town of Somerset and the Shire Hall of C13 or earlier, stood here; the County Court survived here until 1843 and the County Gaol until 1846. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.