© Mr John H. Sparkes
TOWER ON ST MICHAELS HILL,
MONTACUTE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr John H. Sparkes
17 May 2004
19 April 1961
Date of last amendment:
19 April 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST4614 MONTACUTE CP
8/87 Tower on St. Michaels Hill
Folly, used as signal tower. 1760. Ham stone ashlar, flat stone top. Circular on plan, about 3m diameter, and about 12m
tall: chamfered flat- arched doorway on east side, and 3 slit-light windows at various levels on north-west, south and
south-east sectors, illuminating the internal newel stone staircase; at the crown there is a string course, above which
the walls have a marked batter into the flat top: on the east face above the string is a cantilevered platform with
doorway at head of stairs, and an external stair to the flat top, without any surviving guard rails. There is a Greek
inscription over the doorway and the initials 'K.P. 1760' (but Edward Phelips was the likely builder). The hill was the
site of a Norman Castle, mostly demolished to build the Priory of Montacute: St. Michael's Chapel, first recorded 1102,
survived at least until the mid C17; its site now occupied by the tower, which was used as a signal tower to Swayne
Harbin at Newton Surmaville (using the Round House, Item 2/26 Barwick C.P., q.v) and Mr. Goodford, of Chilton Cantelo.
Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 101). (Nares S, Country Life, 5th September, 1952, p679).