You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263592  

Print Page



© Mr Alec Howard

IoE Number: 263592
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  CLOSWORTH, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Alec Howard
Date Photographed: 16 August 2006
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST51SECLOSWORTH CP5/34Church of All Saints19.4.61

ST51SE CLOSWORTH CP 5/34 Church of All Saints 19.4.61 GV II* Church. C13 origins with some C15 work but drastically restored in 1875. Ham stone roughly squared and coursed with ashlar dressings; plain clay tiles with bands of fish-scale tiles between coped gables, stone slab to North porch. 2-cell plan with single bay chancel and 4-bay nave, and added West tower and North porch. Chancel has indistinct plinth and angled corner buttresses with offsets; pointed arched 3-light East window with C15 tracery under arched label with head stops; 1 thin lancet window in North wall next to simple arched doorway probably of C16; C19 plate tracery window in South wall. Nave has almost full height buttresses each bay, simple plinth and eaves course: C15 style pointed arched traceried windows in deep reveals, seemingly all C19 restorations. North porch probably c1330, but restored; ribbed vault and stone slab roof, as North Chapel of Limington Church (qv), moulded pointed arched doorways, plain rectangular niche over inner door. Tower probably late C15 throughout and little altered: 4-stages marked by string courses; plinth, angle buttresses for 3-stages; plain arched small West doorway under square label, and above a 3-light traceried window cutting into second stage; partly blocked statue niche on North side with most of pointed canopy missing, better example on South side; plain second stage save for single cusped lancet under square label high on South face cutting into string course; immediately above a sculptured panel with 3 figures under square label, also at third stage on West face a canopied statue niche, and above a further carved panel with 3 figures under square label; at stage 4 pointed arched 2-light traceried window with pierced stone baffle panels all round; gargoyles to string course at corners and centres, battlemented parapet, corner C20 pinnacles only vaguely resembling originals still stored in churchyard, May 1983: square plan stair turret to North East corner changing to octagonal plan at stage 2, crowned with weathervane and cock. Little of interest internally except early C17 wood pulpit on C19 base; C17 chairs in sanctuary and chest; C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels; a C15 panelled tower arch with a C18 balcony front to the former musicians gallery, C15 door and doorway to tower stairs. A C19 photograph in the church of the North side shows major 1875 alterations to fenestration; porch and tower little changed.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.