© Mr Michael Perry
CLOSWORTH, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Michael Perry
14 February 2005
19 April 1961
Date of last amendment:
30 August 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST51SW CLOSWORTH CP
4/42 Church of Saint Roch
(formerly listed as Church)
Church. C14 with C15 modifications. Local stone rubble roughly coursed, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles between
coped gables with ornamental ridge tiles, cross finial to East gable. Single cell with West tower and small projecting
chapel on North side. Plinth, except to part of North side, eaves course; East window pointed late C15 traceried in
deep recess, flanked by angled corner buttresses with offsets; South side of 3-bays, bays 1 and 2 have 2-light C14
windows without labels, with a trefoil arched blocked opening between, bay 3 has recessed late C15 traceried window;
North side has two 2-light C14 windows without labels with wide half-height buttress between; North chapel simple in
character with C15 window of 3-lights. The West tower simple in two stages; plain pointed arched doorway to tower and
church on South side, lancet with hoods to North and West sides first stage, and similar windows above on North, West
and South sides; simple parapet with corner gargoyles. Internally a boarded and ribbed barrel vault ceiling, with two
old crossbeams; trefoil arched piscina and stoup in South wall; very fine monument in cinquefoil recess in North wall,
very like North Chapel of 1328 in St Mary, Limington, (qv) with elaborate carved overmantle with supporting figures in
corners, the recumbent effigy of a cross-legged knight in unusually good condition, thought to be of Sir John de Domer.
(Wickham, Churches of Somerset, 1952).