You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263634  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 263634
Location: WESTON FARM HOUSE, WESTON STREET (west side)
  EAST CHINNOCK, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 08 April 2004
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 30 August 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST41SEEAST CHINNOCK CPWESTON STREET (West side)3/76Weston House(formerly listed as Weston FarmHouse

ST41SE EAST CHINNOCK CP WESTON STREET (West side) 3/76 Weston House (formerly listed as Weston Farm House 19.4.61 GV II* Farmhouse. Dated 1637. Local stone rubble with Ham stone dressings; stone slate roof between coped gables; stone end and centre chimney stacks, the outer new in random stone, the centre in ashlar with moulded cap. Two-storeys with attic, 4 bays. Plinthed; ovolo mould mullioned windows, several iron bars behind glass, of 4-lights below and 3-lights above, all with labels; entrance door between bays-2 and 3 is modern boarded, but set in moulded cambered archway and protected by C19 porch. Partial C17 outshut to rear, also a projecting wing; C20 windows in West gable wall, but C17 windows to first floor and attic in East gable wall. Rear elevation has C17 porch with inscription (rearranged) R AND G ME FECIT 1637 on door lintel. Interior not seen, but reported are several C17 fireplaces, over one of which on the first floor is the inscription RICHARDUS BATT ET GRACIA UXOR EIUS HANC AEDEM STROXERUNT ANNO DNI 1637; ceiling beams with chamfers and scroll steps, and stud and panel partition to cross passage. Richard Batt was Steward to the Portman family, major landowners in the area. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 1972.)<1

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.