You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263763  

Print Page



© Mr Neil Tinkley

IoE Number: 263763
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY,
  WEST CHINNOCK, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Neil Tinkley
Date Photographed: 29 January 2006
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WEST CHINNOCK CPST41SE3/205Church of Saint Mary19.4.61

WEST CHINNOCK CP ST41SE 3/205 Church of Saint Mary 19.4.61 GV II Church. C13 origins, but totally rebuilt in late C19. Ham stone ashlar and dressings; Welsh slates between coped gables. 4-cell plan of chancel, (2-bays) nave and aisles (all of 3-bays), with West Tower. Tower in C13 style, remainder in C14 style. Chancel plain, with corner plinth height buttresses and corbel tables to eaves; triple lancet East window framed with attached columns and arches externally; on South side two 2-light windows with labels in C15/C16 style, to North a single lancet and a 3-light C17 style mullioned window, both with labels. North and South aisles plain, with corbel table to eaves; windows 2-light with C14 style decorated tracery; arched doorways without porches to East bay of North aisle and centre bay of South aisle. Tower in 2-stages, with round arched doorway with impost blocks in West wall, above which is a simple lancet window without label; string course on corbels, then pairs of plain lancet windows in East and West walls cutting through simple string course at base of gables; pitched roof between coped gables, with small spirelet surmounted by weathervane in centre of ridge. Internally totally C19 in character, with no apparent survivals from earlier Church except a hatchment board dated 1825. Open boarded roofs with trussed rafters; chancel arch and arcades in C13 style, fittings generally in C14 style; original and nicely detailed, all unaltered since. First recorded Rector John de Kirkeby 1293; probable date of rebuilding between 1880 and 1890, apparently after old church was burnt down.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.