© Mr Michael Perry
ALMSHOUSES 30 YARDS SOUTH OF CHURCH, CHURCH STREET (north side)
DONYATT, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Michael Perry
06 May 2003
04 February 1958
Date of last amendment:
29 October 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
DONYATT CP CHURCH STREET (North side)
4/39 The Almshouses
(formerly listed as Almshouses 30
yards south of Church)
Group of 6 almshouses in row. Dated 1624, restored in C19 and C20. Ham stone ashlar; undulating plain clay tiled roof
between high coped gables suggesting former thatch; yellow and red brick chimney sticks. Two storeys, 6 bays.
Continuous string between floors; hollow-chamfered mullioned windows in chamfered recesses, no labels, 2-light above
and 3-light below, with diamond leaded panes; to right of bays 1,2 and 4, and to left of bays 3,5 and 6 are chamfered
cambered arched doorways with deep lintels, C20 panelled doors. Further mullioned windows in end gables and set high on
west gable a plaque describing the gift of the almshouses, the date not discernible. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England,
South and West Somerset, 1958.