You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 263973  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 263973
Location: WHETSTONE'S ALMSHOUSES, CAD ROAD (north side)
  ILTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 04 February 1987
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ILTON CPCAD ROAD (North side)ST31NECAD GREEN3/87Whetstone's Almshouses4.2.58

ILTON CP CAD ROAD (North side) ST31NE CAD GREEN 3/87 Whetstone's Almshouses 4.2.58 GV II Group of 6 almshouses, formerly with chapel. 1635, modified early C20. Ham stone ashlar Welsh slate roof with coped gables; brick chimney stacks. 'U'-plan; 2 storeys, 8-bay south elevation, of which the outer bays project for one wide bay. Hollow-chamfered mullioned windows in chamfered recesses, all 3-light with horizontal-bar inserts with each centre light having an iron-framed opening casement; bay-1 is a plain end gable, bay 6 has a blocked 3-light window in pointed-arched recess, formerly lighting the chapel; similar windows in returns, with cambered-arched doorways near internal corners, and pairs matching doors in the wide spaces between bays 3/4, and 5/6: continuous label over all ground floor openings, continued around returns but not on gables. East and west elevations of 3 bays, with one doorway each - these elevations apparently less restored than that to south. Interiors not seen. Almshouses founded by John Whetsone, Gent, in 1635 (inscription over gateway q.v.).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.