You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264045  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 264045
Location: DILLINGTON HOUSE,
  WHITELACKINGTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 25 September 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WHITELACKINGTON CPST3615DILLINGTON PARK7/122Dillington House(formerly listed under Civil

WHITELACKINGTON CP ST3615 DILLINGTON PARK 7/122 Dillington House (formerly listed under Civil Parish of Ilminster Without) 4.2.58 GV II* Large country house, now residential training college. C16 and C17 origins, but reshaped c1838 by Sir James Pennethorne for J.E.Lee. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roofs with stone verges between coped gables; octagonal ashlar chimney stacks in groups. Seven-unit roof over 'H'-plan; 2 storeys; 7-bay west elevation, of which the outer bays project. Plinth, string courses, quatrefoil open parapet to centre bays, with gables to each bay. Hollow- chamfered mullioned windows with 4-centre arched lights set in hollowed recesses, with labels above and under continuous strings below; outer bays have angled corner buttresses, 4-light transomed windows below and 4-light plain above, bays 2 and 6 still set forward slightly, with 2-light windows; bays 3 and 5 have pairs of 4-light windows below and single windows above; bay 4 has a 4-light window above; all but the outer windows ornamentally leaded; lower bay 4 a tall projecting single-storey porch with angled corner buttresses, a shield over the doorway and quatrefoil panels below a crenellated parapet which has quatrefoil panelled merlons; outer doorway 4-centre-arched, the inner cambered-arched; the ceiling octo-partite vaulted, and mounted on south wall an ornamental late C16/early C17 door, probably that of the previous building on site. East elevation also 7 bays, but the inner bays not of corresponding widths; outer bays similar,bays 2 and 6 have 4-light windows, bays 3 and 5 very narrow, with single-light windows to first floor only; centre bay has a 4-light window above, set higher than remainder, with shield in gable over, and below a projecting single-storey bay with 4-centre-arched lights, one to sides and 3 to front, with French doors, heavily moulded copings and pair of corner turrets. South elevation of 3 bays, with 2-light transomed upper windows, with a pair to the centre bay; below, occupying rather more than the central bay, an orangery, 2 bays x 5 bays, with small-pane French doors in 4-centre- arched openings, with elaborate coving moulding featuring vine decoration, then 4 pinnacles, no parapet, and a hipped glass roof. On the north side, linked but set on lower ground, a 2-storey 2-bay servants' wing, generally to match, with pinnacle finish to dormers, gable copings and kneelers, and over the single-storey link to the main house a small plain bellcote: parts of the north wall and the upper window of bay 7 east elevation may be C17 work. Inside, the entrance hall across most of the front, with rib and panel ceiling, stone flag floor, and stone screens to each end wall featuring three 4-centre arches; similar doorways to rooms on east side; to centre arch in north wall the staircase, and in the east wall a heavy-detailed Gothic-style fireplace: all the ground floor roods of interest; the dining rood, central on east front, has an elaborate panelled ceiling with pendant drops, marble fireplace and timber Gothic- style doorcases; the south-east and south rooms similar, but with elaborate foliated ceiling covings, simpler fireplaces and pendant ceiling roses: a C15 screen with arches opposite the kitchen: first floor not seen, but noted is a C18 carved chimney piece in one bedroom. Origins of building not recorded, but sections of the north crosswing may be before 1551, by John Bonvile; house extended c1600 by Sir George Speke, and later amended by Lord North; an 1831 drawing illustrates the degree of change made in 1838: by tradition some elements said to come from Barrington Court. (Leaflet 'A Brief History of Dillington House', Dillington College for Adult Education,undated).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.