© Mr David Penny
EVERYS ALMSHOUSES, BROADWAY STREET (north side)
BROADWAY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr David Penny
13 September 2002
04 February 1958
Date of last amendment:
04 February 1958
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BT3215 BROADWAY CP BROADWAY STREET(north side)
11/2 Everys Almhouses
Almhouses. Late C16-early C17, retored and extended at rear C1958. Dressed Ham stone, double Roman tiled roof,
catslide at rear, coped verges, rebuilt stone stacks with cavetto cappings. Plan: originally 7 one-up-one -down units.
Two storeys,1:2:2:1:1 bays, first floor 2-light hollow chamfer Ham stone leaded casements, ground floor similar
3-light with continuous string hood-mould. 3 tudor-arch head openings to internal porches with plank doors opening off
left and right, square-headed plank door penultimate bay right. Rendered returns and rear elevation with C20 artificail
stone casements without leading. Interiors not seen, said to contain original circular stairs. By his will dated 25th
December 1588, Alexander Every left £100 for the erection of 7 almhouses in Broadway to accommodate 7 poor men. In
1853 the property was conveyed to Chard District Council but was bought back by the Trustees in 1958 so that the
building could be modernised, The accommodation now comprises three 2-bedroom dwellings and one single bedroom
dwelling. (Anon, St Aldhelm and St Eadburgha Broadway, n.d.).