You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264089  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 264089
Location: FORMER BIBLE CHRISTIAN CHAPEL, CHAPEL LANE (south side)
  DINNINGTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 18 February 1988
Date of last amendment: 18 February 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DINNINGTON CP CHAPEL LANE (South side)ST41SWFormer Bible Christian Chapel5/4GVII

DINNINGTON CP CHAPEL LANE (South side) ST41SW Former Bible Christian Chapel 5/4 GV II Chapel. Built 1873. Local stone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof with sawn stone ridge, stepped coped north gable with obelisk finials and plain south gable. Single-storey, 2 bays x 1 bay. North gable front has plinth; semi-circular arched doorway with ashlar surround framing 4-panelled door with radial-glazed fanlight over, above which is a single semi-circular arched window with chamfered stone surround and honeycomb pattern cast-iron window light: similar windows to side walls; in crown of north gable a rectangular plaque with beaded frame, the inscription no longer readable. Interior not seen, but said to retain its original fittings. The Bible Christians began meeting nearby in 1824, and reformed in 1838: the chapel was built in 1873 and continued to be used by the methodists until 1956. In 1964 taken over by the Elim Pentecostal Church at Merriott, but at time of resurvey (March 1986) appeared to be unused. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.