You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264091  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 264091
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, COOMBE ROAD (east side)
  DINNINGTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 10 July 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DINNINGTON CP COOMBE ROAD (East side)ST41SW3/6 Church of St Nicholas4.2.56

DINNINGTON CP COOMBE ROAD (East side) ST41SW 3/6 Church of St Nicholas 4.2.56 II Anglican parish church. Established by 1207; mostly C15, restored in 1863. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof with stone slate base courses between stepped coped gables. Two-cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with south porch and north-east vestry, Chancel has cill course at east end, with corner and centre buttresses up that level; eaves course, cross finial to coping; east window C19, a 3-light Geometric tracery with arched label having uncut block stops; to south a 3-light window with semi-circular traceried head in deep hollowed flat-arched recess, possibly late C17, with narrow pointed-arched doorway to east, up 4 steps: on north side the leanto vestry, with angled corner buttresses, plinth and eaves course; 3-ogee-arched light window with flat head without label on north side, and chimney stack in south- west corner, Nave has chamfered plinth, eaves course; bay and angled corner buttresses to two-thirds height; on north side are 2-light C15 style traceried windows in hollowed pointed-arched recesses; similar windows to 2 east bays of south side, the east window having a scratch dial on jamb, with porch to west bay; west window 3-light to match, and over this a small C19 bell turret with base course, pair cusped through-arches with bells, and stepped pitched stone roof with wrought-iron cross and weathervane finaial. South porch has side corner buttresses; outer arch probably C15, with side shafts in hollows; inner arch plain wave-mould, C19 roof, Interior not accessible, but noted are stripped walls, C14 chancel arch, and triangular-headed arch into vestry. Nave basic structure may be C13, but much reshaped in C15. Fittings mostly C19, but font apparently C13, possibly recut. In the chancel a large memorial slab to Worthington Brice, died 1649, (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.