© Mr Michael Perry
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET (south side)
LOPEN, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Michael Perry
15 April 2003
04 February 1958
Date of last amendment:
04 February 1958
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
LOPEN CP CHURCH STREET (South side)
8/54 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C12 or C13 origins. Mostly C14 and C15; north transept added 1833, remainder substantially
rebuilt between 1874 and 1886. Ham stone, mostly cut and squared but with some coursed rubble, ashlar dressings; Welsh
slate roofs with stone slate base courses between coped gables. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north
transept, with south porch and western bell turret. Chancel has chamfered plinth, angled corner buttresses; 2-light
east window of c1300, without label; 2 lancets on south side and one on north, with slight projection in north-west
corner for rood stair having small rectangular light. Nave has offset corner buttresses, one early C19 3-light 'Y'
traceried window each side, under curlstop labels; south side also has small pointed-segmental-arched lancet to west of
porch; west wall has a mid-C19 2-light traceried window without label, with short buttress under, above which is a
simple C19 bell turret with 2 small bells. South porch plain, no buttress, simple chamfered outer arch with early C19
timber gate topped with spikes, very simple pointed inner arch; stone bench seats, and in east wall the headstone of a
C12 window with incised radial lines. North transept has 3-light 'Y'-traceried windows to match nave, one in each wall
with pointed-arched doorway under curl-stop label in north gable, and on west side a former gallery doorway set tight
under eaves, with flight of 10 stone steps having wrought iron handrail. Interior has work of all periods; chancel has
segmental-arched ribbed vaulted ceiling of C17 or C18; two blanked-off statue niches with plain 4-centre-arched heads
in east wall; doorway to former rood loft stair in north wall, and plain chamfered almost triangular chancel arch. Nave
has segmental barrel-vault ceiling without ribs, and walls unplastered below cill level; late C18/early C19 gallery at
west end, carrying organ installed after 1945. North transept has full-width quasi-4-centred arch, and barrel vault
ceiling without ribs of same profile; the gallery removed in l958. Fittings include C18 communion rail and two C17
chancel chairs; plain octagonal font on octagonal base, possibly C13, and a chancel screen of 1957 by A.F. Erridge.
Memorials include an incised and painted lias stone slab to George Sampson, died 1724, set behind pulpit, and 2 early
C19 memorials to members of the Templeman family. Chancel windows of 1868 and 1897, the latter of good quality. (VCH,
Vol III, l974; Hopper S, Lopen and its Church, Petherton Press, 1975).