You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264163  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 264163
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE (east side)
  SEAVINGTON ST MICHAEL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 10 July 2003
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SEAVINGTON ST MICHAEL CPCHURCH LANE (East side)ST41SW5/83Church of St Michael4.2.58

SEAVINGTON ST MICHAEL CP CHURCH LANE (East side) ST41SW 5/83 Church of St Michael 4.2.58 GV II* Anglican parish church. Late C12, possibly refenestrated, porched c1291; C15 alterations, gallery of c1800, vestry 1858, reseating of 1899. Ham stone rubble, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables, with low parapet to nave. Two-cell plan of single-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, with north porch, south-east vestry and western bell turret. Chancel has no plinth, but clasping corner buttresses without offsets; 2-light east window, C14 tracery under pointed-arched plain-stopped label; north wall has 2-light flat-arched C15 windows, trefoil-cusped lights with incised spandrils, all set in hollow rectangular recess with deep square plain-stopped label; on south side the leanto vestry, with similar flat-arched window but not in a recess, in the east wall. Nave has corner buttresses to half-height, and added bay buttresses on south side to full height; centre bay on south side has a blocked chamfered pointed-arched doorway, with diamond-leaded window inserted with cill just below springing; on either side a 2-light C15 early Perpendicular traceried window, no recesses, plain-stepped labels; similar windows on north wall, but the north-east is 3-light with square-stop label; west window also 3-light C15, with pointed-arched square-stopped label, below being a small buttress and above a semi-circular arched plain window to serve the gallery. Crowning west wall is the bell turret; simple ashlar west gable with arched openings for 2 bells, and to east a Welsh slate-clad casing: until the 1770s a stone tower is mentioned, but in 1822 a wooden turret with 3 bells is described - either or both may refer to this structure. North porch has chamfered plinth, ball finial to north gable; 2-order moulded pointed outer arch and simple pointed inner arch; bench seats, segmental barrel vault ceiling. Interior mostly C19 reshaping: chancel very plain, with C19 scissor-truss roof; trefoil-cusped piscina in south wall of sanctuary; double-panelled chancel arch to almost full width. Nave has segmental plaster barel vault of 1825, with gallery at west end; another piscina, cinquefoil cusped, in south wall, and near chancel arch four later C14 corbel brackets for rood loft or lenten veil, two having carved heads. Choirstalls removed: fittings in chancel of C19 and C20; likewise in nave except for a circular tub font on rectangular base, probably C12/C13, with late C18 cover. Charles II hatchment over north door: in chancel the effigy of a man, c1280-90, possibly Adam le Denys, Lord of the Manor of Seavington St Denys, d.1284. Two fragments of early medieval glass in tracery of south-west nave window, and C18 glass panel in west window. First mention of church in 1226, first recorded rector 1297. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; VCH, Vol III, 1974; Greenwood, C and J, Somerset Delineated, 1822).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.