You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264187  

Print Page

© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 264187
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 25 March 2003
Date listed: 18 February 1988
Date of last amendment: 18 February 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTH PETHERTON CPST41NEDRAYTON3/103Former flax mill immediatelynorth of Flaxdrayton Farmhouse

SOUTH PETHERTON CP ST41NE DRAYTON 3/103 Former flax mill immediately north of Flaxdrayton Farmhouse GV II Former flax mill, now furniture workshops. Early Cl9. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs with coped gables; on north side a tall brick chimney, square, on stone base, tapered with stone cap. Mostly 2-storey: north-west elevation of main building 3 bays irregular fenestration, with the projecting stack to right of bay 3; C20 window upper bay 1, otherwise small-pane cast-iron windows with segmental-arched heads set in rectangular timber frames under timber lintels: 2 extensions further north, with large sliding doors now fitted, but matching windows to first unit; and additional extensions to wouth-west, set slightly lower: inside the courtyard the south-east elevation of the last unit is a 3-bay office, with doors to centre bay, staggered, the upper in segmental-arched opening in gabled dormer: iron starcase across bay 3 to door in south-west gable of main wing. Two further buildings, a hayloft and a barn, all with parallel roofs, attached to south-east side of main block. Interior not seen, but it is understood that although the mill closed in 1931 some machinery still remains (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.