You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264203  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 264203
Location: JOYLERS MILL AND MILL HOUSE, MILL LANE (east side)
  SOUTH PETHERTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 22 March 2003
Date listed: 18 February 1988
Date of last amendment: 18 February 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTH PETHERTON CPMILL LANE (East side)ST41NW2/119Joylers Mill and Mill HouseII

SOUTH PETHERTON CP MILL LANE (East side) ST41NW 2/119 Joylers Mill and Mill House II Mill and mill house. Mill recorded by 1313; present mill early C19, house late C19. Mill in Ham stone roughly cut and squared, ashlar dressings; clay pantiled roof over stone slate base courses between stepped coped gables. Three storeys with attic; 4 bays irregular fenestration. Chamfer-mullioned windows of 2 lights without labels, to bay 2 second floor, bays 1 and 3 first floor and 1, 2 and 3 ground floor: double doors in plain chamfered opening with heavy lintel between bay 1/2, and also pair to bay 2 first floor: to bay 4 a projecting timber and corrugated iron structure 2 storeys higher with cantilevered top, protecting a drive shaft, and to left a semi-circular arched doorway into waterwheel well: wheel and much machinery still in position. Attached to east gable a later single-storey building to match, and to west a 2-storey link to house, with double Roman clay tiled roof and doors at both levels, the lower segmental-arched. The house has stone plinth, red brick in stretcher bond with yellow brick window arches and upper band course, overhung gabled Welsh slate roof, brick chimney stacks: 2 storeys, 3 bays: casement windows with segmental arched heads; doorway in lower bay 2 to match, verandah along front. Interiors not seen. The mill wheel undershot, and assisted by a small turbine: the leat now filled in: milling ceased about 1930 (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.