You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264224  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 264224
Location: COKE MEMORIAL METHODIST CHURCH, NORTH STREET (west side)
  SOUTH PETHERTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 20 March 2003
Date listed: 18 February 1988
Date of last amendment: 18 February 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTH PETHERTON CPPALMER STREET (North side)ST43176/139Coke Memorial Methodist ChurchGVII

SOUTH PETHERTON CP PALMER STREET (North side) ST4317 6/139 Coke Memorial Methodist Church GV II Methodist Church. 1881. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof of grey banded with purple, ornamental terra-cotta ridges; south gable has moulded coping and gabletted finial. Six bays x one bay, each bay having its own plain gable; with south-east corner turret and spirelet, and north crosswing. North street elevation of 6 bays plus 2 bays of crosswing. Plinth; bay 1 has shouldered-arched doorway with pointed-arched recess having traceried circular window over, flanked by half-height buttresses; remaining 5 bays have almost full-height buttresses and coupled pairs of cusped lancets with transomes; crosswing has similar but simpler doorway in south return, the gable having end and centre buttresses with 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, and louvred vents to roof. South elevation, a gable front, has large C14 style 4-light subarcuated-with-wheel tranceried window, and projecting side wings have pairs of cusped lancets; to gable crown a triple-louvred vent, below which is a band course with 'Coke Memorial Chapel' inscribed thereon; the slim turret becomes octagonal at eaves level with shallow pilaster to principal faces, and at crown are slim lancet openings on angled faces under simple spirelet. Other elevations to match. Interior not seen. This church replaced an 1809 chapel on the site, Methodism having come to the parish in 1753.(VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.